Do we not have an Ashes thread?

Yipee we won!

Kev (the backstabbing Hampshire get - I am a Notts supporter) did very well, as did Giles (who I still do not rate as a bowler, but his batting today was excellent). I didn't quite understand the end - I know there was a bit of a fiasco over light etc but again the ICC need to review the rules on that one.

I think it is important England now move forward without being complacement (which could be very easy now). Many of the players have done very well (including Strauss after his earlier issues in the series), and the batting at the tail end has been world-class at times. One or two (Bell, Geriant) are perhaps riding a wave that they (personally) didn't really contribute a great deal towards (or you could have expected more), and if any changes are made I suspect it will be along those lines (Well Bell will definitely go we all know that!).

I do not know if anyone agrees, but we need to try and find something in the spin department (it will be a necessity for the sub-continent teams), and obviously a fit Simon Jones is going to be a big plus. Most of the test nations are now branding a world class spinner and I think Giles even admitted (pre-match) this morning, that he couldn't turn the ball to the extremes of Warne, Murrily etc.

The series ended up being very close, and without the weather (which is part of the game I accept) the Aussies could have snatched a draw. Some may say that England have thrashed the Aussies, and others will say that the Aussies simply were not on form (there is a distinct difference). I suspect the latter probably carries a lot of weight, though I also believe that Simon Jones was awesome at times and perhaps a bit too much for the batsmen. England in general also got the run on the decisions (which you expect sometimes at home, but I cannot recall ever seeing a test where so many bad decisions have been given or not given). I'd be VERY surprised if the Aussies don't run to the ICC and file a great list of complaints....and some will be out of spite (at losing) but some will be quite justifiable (such as Englands use of subs at Trent Bridge).

To carry on a debate a little longer, what do people think will happen to English cricket now? The BBC quoted a shedload of sports as being 'popular' when in the media's eye that instantly become unpopular as soon as they media turns away. For example, Englands next tour is hardly likely to receive the publicity this has, given it's on the other side of the world.

Of course, SKY nabbing the rights is going to dent a percentage of fans who simply will not be able to see the sport (not everyone has Sky - though I couldn't get by without mine!).

We've got football, the winter olympics, the climax of the F1 season....Maybe for the next few days the papers will carry it on, but come next Monday I honestly suspect we'll hear very little about cricket (or the domestic season etc).

BTW - Trent Bridge are already doing the ODI and test tickets for next year.

Ian W

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic