Anybody here play the Guitar?

Emz

My grand daughter has got what I think is a 3/4 size, she's only 7 and cant play but strums open strings while reciting nursery rhymes. I tuned it for her, and it plays really well, with good tone and plenty of volume for a nylon strung. The 1/2 and 3/4 size refer literally to the size compared to a full size acoustic guitar. Jumbo is larger, the others smaller which I think also applies to the length of the neck. (and the space between the frets which is roughly what is refered to as the scale which you might have to consider when buying new strings). Nylon strings will certainly be kinder to your fingers when you start out playing, steel strings will hurt. Don't be tempted to put steel strings on an acoustic guitar as they aren't made to take the tension and the neck will most likely bend and you will be forever trying to get it in tune.

As you've played instruments before, you should know how music works and shouldnt have too much trouble getting a tune out of it. Nothing much compares to getting your first tune out of a guitar. The good old 12 bar sequence is a good place to start, although orignially a blues format, an awful lot of rock and pop songs are still constructed from it. Beatles, Stones, and I'm sure Oasis have all used it. Status Quo might even have used it once or twice (read 1000 or 2000 times). You can buy song books from music shops that give you the chord shapes and lyrics if you can't find what you want on the web.

Enjoy,

Unc F

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Fester did not know about this hidden musical talent you old scallywag. Did Paul get much of a tune out of your BVP at the Clash :cool:

Enjoy your holiday in Spain and see you at Drummore a week on Sunday :):)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Public apoligy Uncle Fester,I read it as Uncle Nester my mad NE angling buddy

Please carry on strumming :cool:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Emz:

But what does 1/2 and 3/4 size mean?   :confused:  

unless you yourself are 1/2 or 3/4 sized, i'd go for a full size one

skippy:

Hi Emma

Me and all the kids play the guitar!

I'm not in the best of moods at the moment but I will post again tomorrow "if still at large".

Posted about the Kids last week and my loss tonight on another forum but if I can work out how to post a pic will post it here are well!

Oh sorry to hear that :(

skippy:

skippy:

But what does 1/2 and 3/4 size mean?    :confused:  

unless you yourself are 1/2 or 3/4 sized, i'd go for a full size one
Ahhhh, best get a full sized one then :D

skippy:

Hey Emz. I found this a useful site too learn chords:

http://www.chordfind.com

Also, getting a few books may help   :)  

Great link! Just bookmarked it, cheers :)

- Emz

Find out who you live by - www.frappr.com/anfriendsmap

Check out Crystal's New Website! :)

Don't forget to sign her guestbook :D

Uncle Fester:

I tuned it for her, and it plays really well, with good tone and plenty of volume for a nylon strung.

Is tuning something that a complete beginner with no experience can do or is this something that really needs lessons etc?

I have seen these automatic tuners on eBay but are they any good?

Not until I looked into guitars probably did I realise you have to tune the things and that.

On my last instruments it was just a case of making sure the mouthpieces worked, lol.

[ 08. June 2005, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: Emz ]

- Emz

Find out who you live by - www.frappr.com/anfriendsmap

Check out Crystal's New Website! :)

Don't forget to sign her guestbook :D

If you've a good music ear, tuning is easy and can be picked up fairly quickly. (It just involves tightening and/or loosening one string to match the note produced by another string that is being held down at a specific fret)

A good electronic tuner makes it even easier as the dial shows you when the string is producing the right note. It's especially good for ensuring that you set up at least one string at concert pitch and you can manually tune the rest of the strings from that.

But developing a good ear and tuning manually is useful and probably gives you a better micro tuning than can be achieved with an electronic tuner - especially when you find the battery has run out!!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust