float fishing with greys prod?

kirkman

It's been a while since I was on the river (2004). Work, life, etc....

I am back with a renewed enthusiasm. The reason for my post is, the rod I used back then is my 12' Greys Prodigy Barble 1.5lb TC. I used this rod for ledger only and had a few decent fish, but now I fancy a go at float fishing for barble, will this rod be ok for centre pin reels, it has three quiver tips 2/3&4oz.

This may seem like an obvious question but I only have a couple of years fishing experience and the amount of tackle available is mind blowing, I don't want to go and spend a fortune on a rod I may not need

I want to keep it simple and light.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Mick

I have a Greys Prodigy Barbel rod but although I have never used it for trotting I think it would perform great as a trotting rod for Chub & Barbel, although I tend to prefer a rod with standoff rings to help prevent line sticking to the blank if wet.

But I would use the Prodigies Avon tip and not the Quiver tip.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Thanks Boldbear.

When you say Avon ,is that one of the three tips that come with the rod, or the standard stiffer top section.

Once again apologies for my ignorance on terminology.

Thanks Mick

Mick, sorry I have been away and didn't see your question.

When I say the 'Avon top' I mean the stiffer top section and not the quiver tips. the quiver tips would be too soft to pick up any loose line and strike/pull a hook home through the float, but the Avon top section is fine for this.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Agree with Boldbear. I have a Drennan Avon rod with three quiver tips and although it's lighter at 1.25lb TC it works very well trotting with the Avon tip section fitted. If your Greys is anywhere near similar it'll be fine, in fact if you hook into a decent Barbel you'll be glad you're using it.

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back