Is This A Safe Rig?

Del_R

I’ve read in a couple of places (including on the back of the box and in one of the monthlies) that one way to use a feeder is to attach it via big loop tied in the line. At the end of this loop you tie a smaller loop via which you attach your hook length. You can use a strategically placed shot or small rubber ball to prevent the feeder running too far up or down the big loop. This seems to work well and I caught a number of nice fish on it last time out. But is it considered a safe rig? Were the line to break above the larger loop surely the feeder has no way of being released. Or am I missing something obvious?

Cheers,

Del

Why not use Steve Randles excellent Safety Loop Rig shown here on Gray Catchpoles site.

Paul

Del_R:

I’ve read in a couple of places (including on the back of the box and in one of the monthlies) that one way to use a feeder is to attach it via big loop tied in the line. At the end of this loop you tie a smaller loop via which you attach your hook length. You can use a strategically placed shot or small rubber ball to prevent the feeder running too far up or down the big loop. This seems to work well and I caught a number of nice fish on it last time out. But is it considered a safe rig? Were the line to break above the larger loop surely the feeder has no way of being released. Or am I missing something obvious?

Cheers,

Del

Have a look at this (second one down) ......

Safety Loop Rig

Beat you by seconds there Gaffer!

Paul

In effect the loop rig is simply a running bolt rig. You can achieve the same effect as having a loop by using a couple of drennan small silicone float stops (they must be silicone and must be fine bore like the drennan ones). These are simply placed on the mainline the required distance behind the lead as a backstop.

Sounds like a tether rig to me Andy.

Paul