Surprised By The USA

Elton

you think thats strange i work for network rail and was on a course the day of the bombs in london my course was in romford and evry body who was working that day on the trackside on the main line route were told to leave the track side and report to the local depot for safety reason yet i was told when i finished my course to get on the train and go home and not to worry to much about thats after seeing every thing on tv and seeing about 20 police car parked outside the station on the subject of the u.s airbases my girlfriend work on one and you would never belive the stuff they do when this kind of thing sadly happens

I don't find it strange at all. Seems like a perfectly reasonable decision under the circumstances. I expect other foreign nationals in the UK were given similar advice.

Until it was confirmed just what the range of targets were, it made good sense to stay out of the firing line. US forces and civilians abroad are not exactly strangers to a car bomb or two.

As Ian has pointed out, the media have made a bit of a meal of things and some could be forgiven for thinking that we down here in the smoke all retire to bomb shelters at night and sit around swigging cocoa and singing 'Maybe its because I'm a Londoner' I usually pass on the cocoa :)

[ 12. July 2005, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Maybe the warning was issued because it is believed that as in Madrid the perpetrators were not suicide bombers and are therefore still out there someplace. Further, as in the case of Madrid, it is believed that the bombers are in fact planning a second wave of attacks.

Meanwhile the (state supported I might add) BBC has decided not to refer to the perpetrators as terrorists since this might undermine it’s credibility and pose a barrier to “understanding”. Say what? I believe that most of us “understand” that these were indeed terrorist attacks and that they were carried out by islamofascists.

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtm...7/12/nbbc12.xml

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,20...1688261,00.html

Guest NickInTheNorth

Just heard that the General commanding European forces in the Pentagon has just rescinded the order.

Blindhog:

Meanwhile the (state supported I might add) BBC has decided not to refer to the perpetrators as terrorists since this might undermine it’s credibility and pose a barrier to “understanding”. Say what? I believe that most of us “understand” that these were indeed terrorist attacks and that they were carried out by islamofascists.

Blindhog,

Have to agree with you on this one.

One small point though, the BBC may be state supported but I believe the BBC has freedom from state influence over editorial content.

Something that used to drive Margart Thatcher nuts.