bream fishing

harrylagman

Hi,hello all.I am a new member but have been reading the forums for quite a while.

Hope someone can help me.I fish a reservoir that supposedly has huge bream shoals.Whilst I can generally catch a few,I am unable to catch consistently.I get 1 or 2 then the swim goes dead and it is really frustrating.I use a swimfeeder with quivertip.I usually get lots of bites but miss quite a few.This may be my problem as I think the fish get spooked.Detecting the bites is very difficult unless the tip is bent right over.Half the time the tip barely moves and I dont think Iam striking at the right time.I have read lots of books and watched videos on bream fishing and they all make it look so easy!!

Bait choice is also a problem as the best bait seems to be corn but I have trouble getting it to stay on the hook.I am neverconfident that my hook in the water actually has bait on as I reckon it flies off on the cast.Its ok close in but how do you get it to stay on at distance?

Every time I reel in to recast the bait has gone.This means I am constantly checking to seeif the bait is on which does not fill me with confidence!!

Using worms or maggots is no good on the water I fsh as it is full of small perch and roach and these always take the bait before anything bigger can get to it.

Alot of information and questions I know but I am keen to learn.

Many thanks.

Best way to keep corn on the hook if casting more than a rod length or two is to use artificial corn.

I use groundbait with dead maggot and chopped worm, with worm and fake corn as hookbait. I've had bream to 5lbs on these tactics this summer, so I have confidence in them. My rig is either the method or open feeder,8lb mainline and 6lb hooklength and anything from a 14 to a 10 Mustad long point hook. However sometimes I use the same baits on a 3bb waggler fished either dead depth or between 4 and 6" overdepth looking for drop-back bites.

Hope this is of some help.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Just a few things to think about it might help :D

Are you feeding enough bait to keep these 'huge bream shoals' in your swim? They can really get through some bait especially groundbait.

If you feel your spooking the fish you could try a baited up area a few yards further than where your fishing to hold the main shoal whilst your picking off the straglers

You say your missing bites try sitting on your hands and waiting for your tip to go right round.

The little bites could be the smaller fish (which you say theres a lot of) pecking at the bait.

Ive never tried fake corn but its worth a try.

thanks,I have tried fake corn but don't really have much confidence in it as I dont see why a fish is going to want toeat a piece of plastic!!

Surely they are not that stupid!

I have sat on my hands waiting for the bite to develop but that doesnt seem to work.I have triedall sorts of methods and have caught using hair rigged corn and boilies but as I say the problem is catching more than 1 or 2.

The introduction of groundbait seems to kill the swim completely.I have gone and caught 1st cast on a legered piece of corn with no feeder.As soon as I start baiting up becuase I think I have found the shoal,it just goes dead.

By the way welcome to AN :rolleyes::D:D

Bream supposedly dont like food going in over there heads when there feeding maybe try baiting up heavily then resting your peg a while.

Which resevoir are you fishing maybe someone else here knows the place and can help better.

We really are a helpfull bunch here or at least we try

[ 22. September 2005, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: NetFull ]

I use a size 18 hair rig with 2 small pieces of sweetcorn. Find it stays on well even surviving catching fish. There are lots of perch and roach in the water also but you can catch a lot of bream before they move in and you switch to corn.

I ignore all the twitches of the quiver and only hit the noticeably bites.

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.

harrylagman:

thanks,I have tried fake corn but don't really have much confidence in it as I dont see why a fish is going to want toeat a piece of plastic!!

Surely they are not that stupid!

6lb tench, 5lb bream and 19lb carp says they are!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine