felixstowe

beefynemo

i've only been beach casting for about a year now, when i started i was quite succesful, few codling, the odd bass but more recently have seen no action. i have tried everything in the book. not sure felixstowe is the best place to be. does anyone know of better fishing grounds locally. would appreciate your comments

I only fish two places in Felixstowe, really. Right in front of the sea angling club yard at the Manor end, and in front of the cliffs in old Felixstowe. There's probably not a great deal about at the moment, but give it a couple of weeks and it would be worth the drive to Aldeburgh.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

There are loads of spots to target in Felixstowe.

Starting from the View point near the docks walk left towards the sea (you can fish to the right of the view point on the flood into the deep water of the dock).

You can fish from the small pier where the groins start right down to the stone pier.

Anywhere from the viewpoint to this area is full of snags but can be float fished with success.

From the stone pier (beach side) up to the first groin is known as Landguard, you get some good tide here and the area is popular. The first groin down to the car park is known as The Butts (the hill things on the common are called Butts).

The car park to the start of the prom is known as the Manor, the tidal rip from Cobbolds point comes in close to the manor. The start of the prom down to where the Herman de stern (where Seafront road turns inland) is known as Manor end (You will normally find Manor end right through to the stone pier at Landguard is busy as anglers from all over the country decend onto this area. From this point to Felixstowe pier is Felixstowe beach. From stone pier to this point is all fairly clean ground and all fishable. Felixstowe beach continues from the pier to the Spa, this whole stretch is full of rocks but there are some fishable bays (find them on a very low tide). Then you have the Spa sectionwhich is the area from the Spa round to the end day center next to the ice cream kiosk, again this is rough ground but there are fishable areas (I normally can have this whole section to myself whilst Landguard and the manor are packed). From the Kiosk the Cobbalds point where the prom ends is known as the Fluddgers which has areas with loads of snags but has a record of producing Big Bass each year. At Cobbolds point you can fish on the groin two hours each of low water.

Cobbolds point round to Jacobs ladder is unfishable due to snags and lack of beach.

Jacobs ladder to Brackenbury has a few fishable bays that see very few anglers.

Brakenbury (where the prom starts in old Felixstowe runs up to The Dip (as you go towards Felixstowe ferry the road dips down then up just before the cliff top car park.

Most bays at Brakenbury are fishable until you get to the few where you can see the remains of Walton castle at low water (to the right of boat ramp at the dip).

The dip section stops at the area of the prom just under where the cliff tops start.

This area is known as the cliff tops and all bays are fishable.

The cliff tops end next to the golf club where the massive shingle spit starts.

This area is hit and miss and you need to get down there in daylight at low tide to see the bars and gullies which change almost daily.

Where the spit heads back inland you are now at Deben Bar, the mouth of the River Deben.

The tide flies through here but there are times when the area is fishable.

You then have the river Deben itself which at times if full of fish and is best fished from a small rowing boat with a decent outboard.

Basicaly any area from the pier to the river Deben can be fished with local knowledge and you do not normally find many anglers in these areas, if you do they will almost certainly be locals.

The best thing you can do is get a bike and when not fishing cycle the prom's looking for where the anglers fish.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

PS - there are plently of fish about.

I shared a bay at the Manor Friday night with an experianced angler and the lad I was showing the ropes to.

The other bloke had a Codling of 1.5lb, a nice sized doggie, a few Schoolies and a few Whiting.

Myself and the lad had about 30 odd Whiting up to 2lb, Pouting and a small Codling.

The lad in the next bay had codling up to 3lb.

I live baited a small pouting and missed a slam down bite on this bait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We also lost a couple of bigger fish in the surf.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Great post Rudd, just about covered all.

Dont forget the Pier, used to fish quite well when all the beach's were quite.

You cant get on it now, but cast a bait down along side and who know's ;)

1509tarpon_75_.gif