Popping up deadbaits

Budgieman007

Hi all

I am due to go on my first Pike dead baiting session tomorrow.

I had ordered some pop up sticks from eBay but they have not arrived.

Just done a google search and read about injecting the fish with air.

I have a 10mm syringe and needle that I bought to dose my cage birds with.

Just wondering if this would be suitable and how many shots of 10mm would I need to pop the deadbait up say 18inches from the bottom?

Also, I will be using small roach as my deadbaits how long can they be left on for before I would need to replace them

Cheers :)

Budgieman are you fishing a lake or River if its the later then float paternoster or sunk float paternoter rigs work well and in the flow the bait looks like its swimming [well kinda] and its fished off the deck by the length of the lead link/float setting ,As for replacing the deadbaits why would you want to unless there are lots of crays in the water.

Cast them out and twitch them back every 10mins or so can sometimes induce a take if things are slow ,This site is good for tips on rigs and unhooking etc in case you hadn`t found it http://www.pacgb.co.uk/ .

If its your first crack at Pike it helps if you can go with someone to show you the ropes so to speak ,Where abouts are you ??? .

Good luck and don`t forget the unhooking gear Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Hi Steve

Its a lake, the pike go into the mid 20s. I have had a few to around 5lb on spinners and shads but am told the bigger ones are more likely to take a deadbait, heres hoping lol.

I have looked at that site before. I was going to use the running ledger rig that they have at the bottom of the page. I have all the unhooking gear and not really phased by that side of it, should I be lucky enough to catch that is. There are no crays in the water, was a bit worried the bait may deteriorate after a while and lose its appeal.

I will give the tweak every 10mins a try, got to be worth a go

I wouldn't change my baits at all unless they started breaking up.I totally agree about twitching them back occasionally though.

Roach can be a great deadbait especially on waters where everyone else uses sea deadbaits.If they are freshly killed their swim bladders will still be inflated so they will float anyway.If frozen though they normally don't.

Heres how I do it-

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/rig-section/pi...adbait_rig.html

http://www.fishingmagic.com/features/howto/9789.html

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hello fella.

If the roach deads are fresh there's no reason why you shouldn't leave them as long as you like, If you are happy with their position. Like Budgie said naturals can be a killer bait on a lot of waters where the pike have seen a lot of oily unnatural baits. Its a bit early in the season i think to be worrying about pressured fish. Unless you are going somewhere that noddy's been pounding all summer. A good early season bait is smelts and if you can get some quality fresh ones they can be popped up quite well with the use of a syringe once thawn out.

Using a running ledger is a good rig to start with. Nice a simple. And give it a twitch now and then. I am a great believer that pike often move in on a bait and sit and watch it for a long time. And a little tweek now and then can sometimes be enough to induce the fish to take the bait. Don't neglect the float though. i love float fishing for pike i think it can on occasions be the best approach, Especially when you don't know the water to well. You can cover a lot of ground. And providing you mount the bait well you can put a lot of life into it. Again twitching it now and then and keeping it just of the bottom.

My post is a bit late. I been working but hope i helped you a little. For next time.

Regards Wayne.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.