Can anyone confirm the species of this fish?

LeicesterCarl

Guest Ferret1959

It's late so I'll let you off. :D

Next time I'll have you in the play ground.

Oh by the way I'm no qualified expert but running my own fishery helps.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry yet again. Yeah, I blame the lateness for me not reading you properly. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Worst case of fish misidentifaction I've ever witnessed was about 1980 in the Fens. I was fishing a small drain when the angler in the next peg swung in small fish and said "fu***ng zander" before he stamped on it under his welly. After he left, I went to his swim and found a very flat daddy ruffe......

Fenboy

Guest allibee

Well that all puts my small chub with roach theory out the window :) ... Chub have been known to cross with roach and the fins do look convex like a chub ... a little ... and the dorsal and tail is the right chubby colouring ... similar depth of body as a roach

Think only the mummy and daddy fish will really know!

Hybridisation is a funny subject. There are some that say that if roach and rudd exist in the same lake, there's no such thing as a true roach or rudd in that water(I think that was Kevin Clifford and Len Arbury at the NASG conference, circa 1979).

Chaning the subect...

Allibee,

Haven't been back to your mail on another subject because I haven't got email at the moment due to some problem with Virgin Broadband. Will sort it with my ISP on Monday and get back to you then. Might have some good news...

In the meantime, I hope that everyone catches a hybrid and enjoys the fight... they do scrap harder than true species, you know!

Fenboy

fenboy:

...In the meantime, I hope that everyone catches a hybrid and enjoys the fight... they do scrap harder than true species, you know!

The F1 generation do. Not so much after that though.

Except for roudd, of course (of coarse?). :)

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Nothing at all laughable about suggesting there's a Chub somewhere in that fish in my view. Look at that eye for a start.

Paul

I can see we're just going to have to go back and catch the damn thing again!

I'll take photographs from every angle next time, ok...? I'll make it our summer mission to get it on the bank again then we can find out the parentage of the illegitimate Brudd/Chudd/Ruddoach/Broach/whatever... :)

[ 18. July 2004, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: LeicesterCarl ]

Still waiting for a high tide to reach Leicester...

When the picture was starting to download (I'm on a dial-up), I saw the head and immediately thought it looked a bit "chubby". A second or two later I realised that if was quite definitely not a chub and my thoughts turned to ide. I still think the head looks a little bit too robust for an ide though. It looks very much how I would imagine a chub/rudd hybrid, although I would probably have expected the scales to be a little larger. Perhaps it's the only second generation chub/rudd/ide cross in existence :)

Almost anything is possible. I used to go to Balls Park College in Hertford, and I once caught a fish out of the pond that looked like a golden green herring. It made me wonder at the time if there are any circumstances under which a tench/crucian cross was possible, but the pond held both crucians and naturalised goldfish, as well as rudd, so it could have been a bizarre throwback.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.