Fireline braid

CaptainBlue

I use Drennan Sink Braid in 10lb for both tench and bream, and have lots of confidence in it. I have caught a couple of big bream using it and lots of good (and hard fighting!) tench.

As Budgie says I use this stuff too. Its great. I'd use a palomar knot at the swivel. As Anderoo says keep an eye on the braid for fraying. It always happens near knots especially if a knot moves or tightens alot on a big fish. Lutra is right, don't go too light with this stuff as it will snap on the take.

Finally beware of tangles! It is very supple so it tangles easily on the cast etc!

Rich

Are you fishing a bolt rig for these big bream? If you are the Drennan Sink Braid in 10lb as Anderoo recommends I've found to be OK. Even though bream don't fight much, if you fish lighter hook lengths on a bolt rig you risk getting snap on the take.

Hi Lutra,

Yeah, a bolt rig. Maybe I'll stick a heavy feeder instead of lead. That Drennan sink braid stuff comes in a good selection of b.s. Very very seldom do I fish for carp mainly because over where I am (Stockholm) there aren't too many carp waters. Naturally, if I fish the few waters that have carp - then I'll up the tackle.

Mark

Stockholm, Sweden.

(Ex North Met Pit, Cheshunt local lad)

No good asking me Capt! I'm still looking.I'm not even sure that a braided hook link is needed for big bream.When using small baits the an ultra limp one that doesn't affect the way the baited hook moves in the water definitely helps if you have a longer hook length but not an issue at all if you only use short bolt type set ups.

On one water (where I have had in excess of 50 doubles I used an 8lb mono mainline with a 5lb (diameter of around 2.5-3lb normal mono) hi tech hook length (Tortue Narcrita) with a soft 1 3/3lb rod.Worked well but I cant honestly say if I wouldn't have done so well with the 8lb all the way through as baits were quite big (a couple of dendrobaenas on a size 8) or lots of corn on the same or large lumps of bread flake on size 6.

During the day I managed to catch as well but by dropping down to lighter rods and 3lb all the way through.

I don't think "seeing" the line is the issue.

My PB of 15.13 was taken on 8lb mono main line and 6lb mono hook link.Light (as in the hi tech 8 and below lines) don't work with braided main lines as the lack of stretch just doesn't cushion them enough.The lighter braided hook lengths don't either!

I first looked at trying the same as you.The idea of a 10lb Spiderwire hook length (around the same diameter as 2lb mono) really appealed but all the braids back then floated and "blobbing" them with putty to sink them kind of defeated the whole point! Ive tried the modern fine sinking braided hook lengths but the 8lb Drennan stuff I tried wasn't man enough.I believe Richard uses the 12 ok though.

I'm not sure the water I'm currently fishing needs this ultra fine hook length but old habbits and confidences die hard.At the moment I'm back to mono main lines (despite using braid for most jobs) to give me the cushioning I need and 8lb Stroft hook lengths (cant remember equivalent normal mono size).But Ive not caught anything on this set up yet so cant draw any conclusions.

Take a look at the long running bream thread on here.All though mainly about SB's (Super Bream) there is plenty there that you may find helpful in regard to "normal" big bream.

Hi Budgie,

Thanks mate. I will also use a mono hooklink if I use like a method feeder or straight swimfeeder fishing. I wouldn't use a braid mainline because I'm not fishing that far out. Funny you mentioned Stroft mono line. I use it all the time. Before that when I match fished I used Damyl. Which was also a strong line, low diameter. I'll be using 10lb Stroft mainline and 6lb & 8lb hooklinks depending on hook size.

Mark

Stockholm, Sweden.

As Budgie says I use this stuff too. Its great. I'd use a palomar knot at the swivel. As Anderoo says keep an eye on the braid for fraying. It always happens near knots especially if a knot moves or tightens alot on a big fish. Lutra is right, don't go too light with this stuff as it will snap on the take.

Finally beware of tangles! It is very supple so it tangles easily on the cast etc!

Rich

Thanks Rich, and everyone else for your replies. 10lb will be about right. Checking for wear or changing frequently anyway. I'm going to practice that Palomar knot coz only today I went for an hours piking after lunch and lost one of my Buster Jerk baits and trace because of the poxy knot. Funny world though, I lost my lure and come across some line tangled up in the reeds, I gave it a yank and out came a 28gr / 10" wobbler ! Thanks, we evens. (sorry a bit off topic).

Mark

Stockholm, Sweden.