match tips?

Carpman96

Hi,

thinking of starting match fishing in April at a local fishery with carp and tench roach etc.

Idont have a pole and dont really intend to buy one just yet although i know that it is the best method for match fishing. Im not being ignorant to advice i just want to see how the match fishing goes and see if im best suited to it before i go on and buy to poles and such. i dont want to start with the pole then realise that i cant match fish.

so does anyone have any tips, rigs, baits, methods that i could use.

any feedback is great thx.

Hi,

thinking of starting match fishing in April at a local fishery with carp and tench roach etc.

Idont have a pole and dont really intend to buy one just yet although i know that it is the best method for match fishing. Im not being ignorant to advice i just want to see how the match fishing goes and see if im best suited to it before i go on and buy to poles and such. i dont want to start with the pole then realise that i cant match fish.

First things first - the pole gives the best presentation up to the poles length out of any of the match methods but is not always the best choice, there are many factors involved.

Second - do you have much experiance with general coarse fishing and an understanding of what is happening under the surface?

Third - Are you willing to take the time learning how to match fish, how venue/pegs fish, which baits and methods to use where and when etc?

Match fishing takes time to learn - it took me a few years to start to win sections, another to win a match and near on ten years to winn a trophy and thats at club level.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Hi,

Thought i would give you some advice as i started Match fishing without a pole.... The obvious method for me is the waggler, fishing up in the water casting to a close enough swim that allows you to loose feed to either by hand or cati..... use a smallish hook around a 18 - 16..... this should catch you plenty of silvers even the odd bonus fish if you keep those maggots going in.

If there is plenty of carp then it might be wise sitting it out for those 3-4 carp on the tip rod, i came 2nd last week with 14lb of small roach on the pole when 1st place caught 3 carp totaling 17lb on the tip rod (the jammy bugger).