Compact Travel Rod

My Diawa is a 4 piece, not 5, and it's 8 foot. The model name and number is Vulcan X 904 MHA. It's an excellent rod that I've always enjoyed using.

I did have a 9 foot Exage which I seem to remember was a 5 piece but I never used it as much as the Diawa so I gave it to a mate, it was a good rod, but did a couple of times fall apart on particularly vigorous casts, when I mentioned this in the tackle shop I bought it from I was told it wasn't uncommon!

Edited by jeepster
My Diawa is a 4 piece, not 5, and it's 8 foot. The model name and number is Vulcan X 904 MHA. It's an excellent rod that I've always enjoyed using.

I did have a 9 foot Exage which I seem to remember was a 5 piece but I never used it as much as the Diawa so I gave it to a mate, it was a good rod, but did a couple of times fall apart on particularly vigorous casts, when I mentioned this in the tackle shop I bought it from I was told it wasn't uncommon!

You have my full attention on your travel rod! I'll do some homework on that rod. I spoke to a Daiwa agent last week and he didn't mention that particular rod. Who knows, maybe it's been discontinued? I'll let you know what I find out, thanks!

PS: That is one seriously disturbing profile picture lol! :)

Just thought I'd keep you all updated...I just bought my rod this morning and I ended up going for the Shimano Exage 7ft BX STC. This is a lovely lightweight rod and it comes with a carry tube which is about 50mm diameter and about 600mm long which will be ideal for travelling. The casting weight of this rod is 10 to 30 grams. When I did the "pull" test I really gave it some beef and this rod just keep on bending! The rod also gives a nice smooth through action so I can definately recommend it.

I also looked at the 8ft rod and it is also a lovely rod. The carry case of slightly longer but not by much. Originally I thought this was one rod- a 8ft with a 1 ft extension which can make it a 7ft rod but this is NOT the case. You will either have to opt for 7 or 8ft.

I compared these rods with the 8ft ET rod. The ET rod has a very nice blank with a beautiful finish. This rod is heavier than the Shimano and feels a little top heavy. I'm sure the rod would be nicely balanced with a reel on. I might have gone for the ET rod but the only thing that kept me back is the reel seat which feels like it's made of cheap plastic. It's a shame really because the rod has a lovely blank.

My verdict: Go for the Shimano! Leightweight, durable, strong, small carry case and you're buying from a well established company which has been around for ages.