River Wensum

andy_youngs

Apologies to anyone who listened in on 9 June expecting to hear a sensible debate about Ringland Parish Council's recent Bye Law. I had been told it was on the agenda, but instead all we got was a slanging match between a local angling rep and a local canoeing rep about a different stretch further downstream.

Shame really. It seems to me that this is a classic case of anglers and canoeists having a common grievance and if they could only find a way of working together then it would be to everyone's mutual advantage.

My latest info is that Canoe England have requested a meeting with Ringland Parish Council to discuss the issue. I'm sure that angling reps would be more than welcome to attend and contribute also, if only some common ground could be established ....

Edited by andy_youngs

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hiya all,

how great to find that the canoe/kayak and fishing fraternities agree on the ringland issue. i went canoeing there a couple of years ago with my club and we all had enjoyable time. now my son has moved near the swan pub and i have just seen this new sign. it is outrageous that we cannot use this river to launch, fish or whatever. especially at a time when increased access to our countryside is being granted.

i've just come back from 3 months in sweden where it is every person's right to have free access to land and water (their heritage after all) so it's a real shock coming back to find all these disgusting exclusions to our own heritage by those that have the power to keep the nice bits for themselves or spoil it for others. i'm so angry about this that i will definitely be writing to the parish council, and fighting it. i have already put my canoe in there just to make a point and will encourage my son and daughter in law to go to parish meetings and try and get on the council.

we should all be able to use the rivers and lakes together, fishermen, swimmers, canoeists, kids with dingies, etc. i know there are irresponsible kayakers, just as there are fishermen (mostly the kids who leave all their damn rubbish that i collect up) but in norfolk i have always found fishermen friendly, and certainly in my club (the eagle canoe club) we are extremely considerate of all fishmen. only in wales have i come across the most unbelievable viciousness of which the trout fishers and riverside owners there are capable of, including damaging vehicles. :angry:

if anyone wants any support in the ringland issue i would be more than happy to back you.