Hi, new to pole fishing

djrushby

Hi all,

first of all, hi to all as am a newby.

Ok,

I have been fishing for long time now but made the move over to pole fishing.

Ok I have a margin pole (white knuckle) middy pole with a 24 elastic as fishing for carp. Already landed some nice fish. Great fun

Just some think that has been bugging me. I started of with using a rig where I had a lot of line out and was finding it hard to hit bites etc, as was just taking up the slack. So shortened it alot so my end of the pole only has short distance to the float. So am staright on the bites this way. Is this ok to fish like this? Or do i need to have alot of slack line for when they fight. I noticed when catching the big carp it was really streatching the elastic! Am only fishing in shallow water. Is the a system for knowing how much slack etc to use?

Sorry if all sounds bit jumbly.

Thanks

Dave

Your fishing it exactly how it should be.You get much better control and striking with just a short length between the tip and the float (as youve found out!).Only time I ever use a longer length is when fishing moving water or on a whipp.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Your fishing it exactly how it should be.You get much better control and striking with just a short length between the tip and the float (as youve found out!).Only time I ever use a longer length is when fishing moving water or on a whipp.

I agree here. Ive done a lot of pole fishing in the last few years nd really enjoy it. I had the same concern as you here but i was suffering with the slack line being taken by the flow of the lake surface. I shortened my rig a lot and love the directness of the hookups. It is rare you miss a bit when pole fishing.

Dont panic about the elastic either. Size 24 is more than enough to handle carp. Just remember to get it wet so it flows out of the pole better. I have landed a 10lb common on only size 12 elastic and it was great fun. Took a while though! It just takes practice and a cool head.

Tight lines.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk