Lough Ree

Nicholas S

Has anyone here fished Lough Ree in Ireland before? It's an enormous stunning Lough right in the centre of Ireland, received a bit of press recently after hosting the International Pike Festival. I will be fishing there in June and was wondering whether anyone here has fished there as well? N

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Fundamentally fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences. It makes you notice the little things of nature, wherever you may be. ~Bernard Venables

Hi Gorton,

Thanks for replying. I'm staying in Barley Harbour which is just south of Elfeet Bay. Have you fished around there? Which areas are you familiar with and what is your experience of the fishing on the Lough in general? N

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Fundamentally fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences. It makes you notice the little things of nature, wherever you may be. ~Bernard Venables

Unfortunately Nich that is not part of the lough that I know I have fished Lanesborough, Galley Bay, Hudson Bay, Barrymore Point, Athlone and Inny Mouth and spent many a boating holiday on the lough, is it pike fishing or coarse fishing you are interested in?

Well I'm interested in both really although I expect that given the baggage restrictions with Ryan Air I will be limited to just taking my lure fishing gear this time! I have been to the Lough many times and am familiar with most of the locations you mentioned although all my fishing in the past has been around Barley Harbour. However, I very much doubt that tactics and species will vary much from the areas you have fished. I would love to hear more about your experiences fishing there, what sort of fish you've caught and the methods emplyed etc. I know there are good pike in the Lough but I've never managed to get a one of a notable size unfortunately. Would be fascinated to know what the coarse fishing is like there. In the past I simpy trolled a spinner off the back of a boat (I wasn't that experienced back then), used to catch the odd small pike and perch and even some lovely brown trout but I always knew I wasn't even coming close to tapping into the fishing the Lough offers. N p.s. If you would prefer, PM me!

Edited by Nicholas S

Well I'm interested in both really although I expect that given the baggage restrictions with Ryan Air I will be limited to just taking my lure fishing gear this time! I have been to the Lough many times and am familiar with most of the locations you mentioned although all my fishing in the past has been around Barley Harbour. However, I very much doubt that tactics and species will vary much from the areas you have fished. I would love to hear more about your experiences fishing there, what sort of fish you've caught and the methods emplyed etc. I know there are good pike in the Lough but I've never managed to get a one of a notable size unfortunately. Would be fascinated to know what the coarse fishing is like there. In the past I simpy trolled a spinner off the back of a boat (I wasn't that experienced back then), used to catch the odd small pike and perch and even some lovely brown trout but I always knew I wasn't even coming close to tapping into the fishing the Lough offers. N p.s. If you would prefer, PM me!

Nick are you bank fishing or do you have access to a boat /poss hire a boat ? ,If so and you are going to troll lures a hand held GPS helps in finding what speed gets most hits and can then concentrate on keeping the lure working at that speed ,We generally troll at about 2.5mph on the local lake/river and have found that to be most consistent but obviously waters and lures vary......

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Boat fishing, the relative who we stay with has a lovely wooden lake boat with an outboard. Problem is the lough is so large that it is hard to ever find it without a chop and hence achieving an even speed is quite tricky. However, I hadn't considered using a hand held GPS before, food for thought! I think one of the main reasons I didn't used to catch many was because I wasn't trolling at the right depth. The lough is extremely deep and after reading some of the catch reports from the recent competition it would appear that those who had the most success fished quite deep and interestingly just drifted with the waves without the engine, something I hadn't even considered before when lure fishing. N

Cheers Gorton, will give you a call either tomorrow or Friday. N