Beach Access and Audubon Society

Although many of you may be unfamiliar with the coast of North Carolina, you may know Cape Hatteras for its world renowned surf fishing. However, this area is now under fire from Audubon Society and Defenders of Wildlife concerning beach access for both pedestrians and ORV's. This may seemingly be uninteresting at first although you should definitely read it because your favorite beach or fishing area could be under the gun next.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5...ach.html?cat=16

I hope you all enjoy the read and don't give in to special interest groups until you are sure you know what you are giving for.

Although many of you may be unfamiliar with the coast of North Carolina, you may know Cape Hatteras for its world renowned surf fishing. However, this area is now under fire from Audubon Society and Defenders of Wildlife concerning beach access for both pedestrians and ORV's. This may seemingly be uninteresting at first although you should definitely read it because your favorite beach or fishing area could be under the gun next.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5...ach.html?cat=16

I hope you all enjoy the read and don't give in to special interest groups until you are sure you know what you are giving for.

Thanks for drawing that to our attention. Hatteras has long been well known for it's quality fishing and popularity with anglers. You are dead right that this, although it is 'In America', should serve as a warning to British anglers. It should also serve as a wake up call to the people who claim to represent British anglers. I won't be holding my breath, though, because they seem to have cloth ears and blunder through life with their eyes shut. I fear it will take something much more drastic for them to finally wake up and smell the coffee.

I wonder what would happen if they suddenly decided to close the beaches of Montauk to anglers?

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder what would happen if they suddenly decided to close the beaches of Montauk to anglers?

I've just returned from 10 days on Cape Cod Steve

Several sections of local beaches above the HW mark were subject to restrictions / no entry to people and dogs due to nesting terns.

The signs were 'by order' of the local council, but also had the Massechusetts Audubon Society logo on them.

My guess is that the Audubon Soc apply for 'protection' and when granted, they put up the info. signs, which were very informative with ID of the birds and nesting habits etc.

These areas were not a loss to our fishing though, as access was still available to the water and there were dates on the signs indicating that the closures were only during the nesting season.

Further around the Cape much of the coast is part of the National Shoreline natural reserve.

There are no angling restrictions, but you do need a permit to drive onto the beach in most parts and there are no-go areas for ORVs.

3 brit visitors, who I'm sure you'll know of, had over 120 stripers (mostly well into double figure fish) off the beach in one day on lures from this area.

Cheers

Steve

I've just returned from 10 days on Cape Cod Steve

Several sections of local beaches above the HW mark were subject to restrictions / no entry to people and dogs due to nesting terns.

The signs were 'by order' of the local council, but also had the Massechusetts Audubon Society logo on them.

My guess is that the Audubon Soc apply for 'protection' and when granted, they put up the info. signs, which were very informative with ID of the birds and nesting habits etc.

These areas were not a loss to our fishing though, as access was still available to the water and there were dates on the signs indicating that the closures were only during the nesting season.

Further around the Cape much of the coast is part of the National Shoreline natural reserve.

There are no angling restrictions, but you do need a permit to drive onto the beach in most parts and there are no-go areas for ORVs.

3 brit visitors, who I'm sure you'll know of, had over 120 stripers (mostly well into double figure fish) off the beach in one day on lures from this area.

Cheers

Steve

So they haven't closed them, then, Steve?

I wonder what would happen if they did?

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.