Which Bait runner?

tradman

Nothing to do with actualy fishing baitrunner style, its to do with saving my rods. I tend to fish 2 rods so if I get a fish on one rod I put thr other in free spool that way if I do get s second fish my second rod does not get pulled in. Also I will be using the reel for carp, Tench, Pike and Bream.

Tradman.

tradman:

Nothing to do with actualy fishing baitrunner style, its to do with saving my rods. I tend to fish 2 rods so if I get a fish on one rod I put thr other in free spool that way if I do get s second fish my second rod does not get pulled in. Also I will be using the reel for carp, Tench, Pike and Bream.

Tradman.

Ah I see. Thanks for that, makes sense now.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Newt:

Newt:

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you use a freespool reel in a strong-flowing river? To stop the flow peeling off line wouldn't you need to set the freespool to pretty tight, and doesn't that deter bites?

If the current flow exerted a pull of 3 lbs on your particular rig then you'd need to set the freespool tension to 3.01 lbs or more.

In that case (3 lbs current pull and 3.01 lbs tension) the fish would be faced with 0.01 lbs of resistance.

It's the line pulling through the water that would be the problem, Newt. If you were standard quivertipping and flipped the bail arm open, it probably wouldn't be the rig that sailed off down river, it would more likely be a huge loop of line pulling off in the faster surface water. That's what I was visualising with the baitrunner setup. But Tradman has explained it ....

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

I'm currently selling a Shimano 5000 GTE and a 5000RE (also has a double handle and metal rimmed spare spool) because I don't think the clutches are as good as the Epix Pro. They're okay, just not as good.

Agree with every comment made re. the free spool facility. Had a double hook up on the Trent the other night and both barbel were landed. The 'panic in stages' comment was very appropriate!

Cheers

Dave