pike taking boilies, trout pellets, anything

biteless1

hi all,

on a water i fish ive recently had trouble with pike taking all sorts of bait trout pellets, popped up boilies and popped up sweet corn. All the pike look healthy, so why would they take theses baits and there not being taken while i reel in just static on the bottom any ideas?

all the best, arran

I've also had Pike take 6 lumps of corn hair-rigged. Several other anglers were snapped off on the same day. As soon as they struck into the fish the line went slack. They weren't using light line either. The average was 8lb line !!

As for Cormorants (i.e. depletion of small silverfish stocks), hmmm. I don't think so since I was fishing light tackle on another rod and pulling small roach out all day long.

Strange though. To get a cracking bite only to be snapped off without so much as a struggle.

Tight Lines

Chris

Guest kingfisher

"Strange though. To get a cracking bite only to be snapped off without so much as a struggle."

Chris[/QB]

Could you have caught a small fish then the pike took that??

[ 10 May 2002, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: kingfisher ]

Hi Biteless

funny you should say that - last weekend I was fishing a new lake and had 3 jack pike (upto 3lb) on the trot on single red maggot fishing a pole, 4 elastic and 18 hook. I also noticed that a lot of the roach we were catching looked a little mauled - my best guess was a big cohort of small pike with not enough food fish so they were switching to what was available.i.e maggots etc.....?

Andy

hiya, had a pike strike at a marker float that had been sat there for ages,thats all it did tho' strike at it. the lake that this happened on is stuffed full of silver fish so I wouldn't think that it's a hunger thing.

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

Last year I was fishing my local estate lake with my 5 year old daughter Charlie. I set her up with the end section of a pole and a very light rig, with a tiny piece of meat on a size 20 hook. She was fishing 2 foot from the bank for bits. 10 minutes later, wammo!! All hell broke loose and she (Well me really) managed to land a 7lb pike! She was over the moon, I wouldnt mind but the lake is crystal clear and I hadnt noticed it prowling the margins! She has still got the pic on her wall!