ZANDER FISHING

Clayton

Zander can be a bit tricky... In may and june during spawning they are quite easy to catch. Males are watching their ofspring until it leaves the spawningplaces, they are very aggresive and even attack big pike. I once saw a photo of a diver who got bit, came to close to the "nest". At this time they can be caught on almost everything. Jiggs, wobblers, live-deadbait and so on... Be careful though, sometimes it is better to let the fish reproduce an be let alone. Later in the summer i find jiggs most effective. Bounce the jigg in the bottom repeatedly. Trolling a wobbler in deep water can also be efficient. It really depends on where the food is, loads of small fish (im not sure of the english names on smallish fish). Afternoons, dawn and sometimes in real darkness are often productive...

fiskesnack.dyndns.org/fiskesnack/fo..._relax_vbig.jpg

fiskesnack.dyndns.org/fiskesnack/fo...ils/10404-m.jpg

Clayton, try small dead roach air injected so that they lightly sit off bottom. Try to minimise resistance ie, set your drop arm indicator as light as possible or use a very light long drop bobbin. I have found that double hooks are more efficient at hooking than trebles, but that is down to personal choice. I always hook my roach upside down, so that the tail points up. One hook in the lip and the other near the vent as zander have a tendency to attack from the rear. Sometimes i'll inject a little van de eynde predator plus into my baits for extra attraction. Hope that is of some use.

Wurzel

clayton, if you really want to catch zander mate then you really need to get a bit of movement into your bait, be that by jigs etc or better still livebaits, zander are designed and spend their life hunting moving, live quarry. they do take deads, but not as readily as pike as they are not scavengers by nature.

if you want a more detailed set of advice have a look at my fens section on my website

http://www.kestrelguides.co.uk

hope that helps mate

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk