River Trent Barbel

nden85

Going fishing for a few days next week on the Trent, first time I've fished it. I'm looking for a couple of decent day ticket stretches with a good head of barbel, any suggestions?

Nick

I'm heading to Newark later today for a overnight session, only fished Newark & Collingham, the later gets very busy so normally end up at newark! had mixed results here biggest barbel 9lb, some very good chub here, would also like to find a few more day ticket waters around newark towards the tidal!

I'm heading to Newark later today for a overnight session, only fished Newark & Collingham, the later gets very busy so normally end up at newark! had mixed results here biggest barbel 9lb, some very good chub here, would also like to find a few more day ticket waters around newark towards the tidal!

yeah we were looking at newark, heard some pretty decent things about the fishing round that part of the river. let us know how you get on and good look

yeah we were looking at newark, heard some pretty decent things about the fishing round that part of the river. let us know how you get on and good look

Got back last night having fished Sunday afternoon and evening and Monday morning and afternoon. Between the two of us we caught barbel weighing 3lb, 6lb x2, 8lb, 8lb1oz, 9lb7oz, 10lb1oz, 10lb13oz.

Great success, definitely going back.

Got back last night having fished Sunday afternoon and evening and Monday morning and afternoon. Between the two of us we caught barbel weighing 3lb, 6lb x2, 8lb, 8lb1oz, 9lb7oz, 10lb1oz, 10lb13oz.

Great success, definitely going back.

If you ask me, the tidal Trent from Cromwell down as far as Gainborough is one big barbel swim. The fishing for other species such as roach, perch and chub is getting better. Although I've caught many double figure barbel in the past, I am re-discovering roach and other species too.

The Trent is probably England's finest coarse fishing river.

If you ask me, the tidal Trent from Cromwell down as far as Gainborough is one big barbel swim. The fishing for other species such as roach, perch and chub is getting better. Although I've caught many double figure barbel in the past, I am re-discovering roach and other species too.

The Trent is probably England's finest coarse fishing river.

Hi Ronnie,welcome to AN.

You sound like you know the tidal stretch pretty well, could you shed any light on the reports of catfish being caught on the tidal Trent?

I've had two confirmed reports from the Yorks Ouse, so I wouldn't be surprise if the Trent had them too.

Cheers

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi Ronnie,welcome to AN.

You sound like you know the tidal stretch pretty well, could you shed any light on the reports of catfish being caught on the tidal Trent?

I've had two confirmed reports from the Yorks Ouse, so I wouldn't be surprise if the Trent had them too.

Cheers

John.

To be quite honest I hope our beloved Trent does NOT have any catfish. We don't want another apex predator in the river. Other than pike which genuinly belong, there are zander, mink and otters.

I of course have heard the rumours about catfish. I know what I would do if I ever caught one, but it's not PC to say what it would be here.

To be quite honest I hope our beloved Trent does NOT have any catfish. We don't want another apex predator in the river. Other than pike which genuinly belong, there are zander, mink and otters.

I of course have heard the rumours about catfish. I know what I would do if I ever caught one, but it's not PC to say what it would be here.

I feel the same Ronnie, and would 'remove' any from the water permanently.

The reason I'm asking is that we had a guy on here a couple of years ago, and he claimed to have 'lost' 5000 cats from his 'fisheries' in East Yorks, during the bad flooding. I had a look at the area, and saw that it was surrounded by drains leading to the R Hull. It's just a short hop to the Humber, then the Trent and Yorks Ouse system. I've been dreading hearing of any being caught, now I have. On a match on the Ouse a guy landed a small one, and lost one (estimated a double) at the net. I then started hearing about captures on the Trent, but no confirmation.

The cheeky thing was that the guy who claimed to lose the cats, was asking for donations to help restock his waters!

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John