worms for carp

davedave

With the prices of pellets and boilies these days i have decided to try out some more natural baits. I have found some large lobworms in my garden and am planning to use them on the quivertip on thursday for carp. Any tips on this, im thinking one worm on a size 10 or 8 with either rubber maggot or a piece of rubber band to stop it coming off, and a basic free running ledger rig to keep it simple.

Any advice on improving this? And has anybody had much luck with worms for carp?? Thanks

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I actually bought one of the fishing rags this week (free spool of line on the cover) and there is a story of a 61lb carp stalked using worm:

http://frankscolumn.blogspot.com/2010/08/1...on-anglers.html

Have you not fished much with worms in the past?

I actually bought one of the fishing rags this week (free spool of line on the cover) and there is a story of a 61lb carp stalked using worm:

http://frankscolumn.blogspot.com/2010/08/1...on-anglers.html

Have you not fished much with worms in the past?

yes i have used them a lot for perch but never tried them for carp so didnt really know how to go about it, im more used to float fishing a half inch size chunk for perch, not whole ones legered for carp :)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

One of my favourite stalking baits.......but you can be selective when stalking and thats probably the worms biggest problem (?) in that everything will take it! all species and all sizes!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

No special reason I can think of why either traditional tactics or modern ones can't be used with worm - except that if you were to plan to leave a bait in position and sit it out, worm isn't very selective and boilies don't burrow into the bottom or squirm about and tangle your rig, so you might not have the confidence that your bait is still on and nicely presented.

What Budgie said.

If you can see the carp, there probably won't be a better bait available to you.

If you can't see them, be prepared to catch every annoying fish in the lake, especially eels :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I think I'd prefer to use a bobbin set-up with lobworm, rather than a quivertip, so as to allow the fish to get a good hold of the worm before striking. You could also try putting off smaller fish by presenting two big lobworms on a size 4 or 6 hook (probably won't work with 3" perch, though!). Popping the bait up might also help, although most fish are quite adept at digging out worms that have "buried themselves".

I think I'd prefer to use a bobbin set-up with lobworm, rather than a quivertip, so as to allow the fish to get a good hold of the worm before striking. You could also try putting off smaller fish by presenting two big lobworms on a size 4 or 6 hook (probably won't work with 3" perch, though!). Popping the bait up might also help, although most fish are quite adept at digging out worms that have "buried themselves".

ok thanks, i will try popping them off the bottom and use a bite alarm, thanks for your advice