Look at this.

Guest Ferret1959

absolutely disgusting... the mere fact that he was fishing the Severn during the close season is bad enough but when you consider that he killed the fish too.... :mad:

However, the EA are quoted as saying that what he actually did is not technically an offence, indeed technically it would have been an offence to return the fish as it is a non-native species!! Don't know how they can explain away the close season fishing though.....

Simon

Not sure on this one Ferret. In away it p s me off. But in another way Zander are as bad as the black plague. I think if it was on our river id kill it even though it was spawning. Mainly because they'd ruin the place for us. But there again i might of got in touch with the E/A and let them sort it. Well you know what probs we had with Pike and Zander are 10 times worse.

Guest Ferret1959

Zander buggered the Avon so my opinion was yes kill it but I think some people are looking at the closed season fishing thing. How come he was using gudgeon? how did he catch that if he was fishing for eels???

If he had caught the zander a few days earlier in the open season would the fish still have spawn? IMO yes, so that would say to me closed season would not protect breeding fish.

So why have a closed season I say leave it to the owner of the fishing rights.

the rules are so confusing its about time things were brought into line

ie an easy to follow rules...the grey areas are just too open :o

Lets face it there are plenty of places to fish..

if river only clubs feel their time is less than the still water cousins then maybe some heads should get together for some discretionary days at still waters which stay open....

communication is the key and when you read the rules communication and clear cut info it is not !

About the zander well i could not comment i guess really that is an issue that the EA and some experts to look into !

Do they really muller the fishing that much ? :confused:

John "The Block" Westley

I watched a "maggot v fly" competition on the Derbyshire Derwent at the Chatsworth Angling Fair at the weekend. As you know the maggot is a banned bait on rivers until June 16th. I decided to have them arrested and went looking for a cop. Fortunatly, for them, I was sidetracked by an indepth discussion on home made floats with Chalmondly-Warner at the Waterlog tent and forgot all about it!