Tethered fish

davedave

I caught my first double figure carp today! After playing it for about 10 minutes i finally landed it and unhooked it. Only to find some idiot had completely ignored the lakes barbless hooks rule, the poor thing was bleeding out the corner of its mouth where a barbed hook was, and was tethering a great big weight, some people!! Anyway after sorting him out i retuned him and he seemed fine, very feisty!

Has anybody else caught a carp with hooks in it or pulling weights along, also would it have eventually died, because he must have been well enough to eat my sweetcorn!

On the good side the fish is ok and i now have a new weight, one of those nice camouflaged ones as well, and 2 swivels, so cant complain!

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I caught my first double figure carp today! After playing it for about 10 minutes i finally landed it and unhooked it. Only to find some idiot had completely ignored the lakes barbless hooks rule, the poor thing was bleeding out the corner of its mouth where a barbed hook was, and was tethering a great big weight, some people!! Anyway after sorting him out i retuned him and he seemed fine, very feisty!

Has anybody else caught a carp with hooks in it or pulling weights along, also would it have eventually died, because he must have been well enough to eat my sweetcorn!

On the good side the fish is ok and i now have a new weight, one of those nice camouflaged ones as well, and 2 swivels, so cant complain!

I've caught lots of fish still carrying snapped line and hooks...mainly barbless !

I've caught lots of fish still carrying snapped line and hooks...mainly barbless !

So is it a common thing then, i always assumed barbless hooks would come out of the fish within a few hours, obviously not :/

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

So is it a common thing then, i always assumed barbless hooks would come out of the fish within a few hours, obviously not :/

Unfortunatly it is common. In my experience it seems most common on venues/commercilas where the majority are using poles with light hooklengths.

Unfortunatly it is common. In my experience it seems most common on venues/commercilas where the majority are using poles with light hooklengths.

At least with a pole rig there's not a bl00dy great weight to drag a round :rolleyes:

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton

At least with a pole rig there's not a bl00dy great weight to drag a round :rolleyes:

I only stated my experience so what you gettin your womans underwear in a twist about ?

For most of my fishing I only use a few shot and when river fishing with weights of up to several ounces My rigg's are always safe so I can sleep nights :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I once had a roach around 5oz that had been pulling a swimfeeder around.

One of those feeders with a clear plastic tube and a strip of lead at the bottom.

The feeder was covered in green algae, so the fish had been towing it around for quite a while.

Bet it was glad to be rid of that.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I once had a roach around 5oz that had been pulling a swimfeeder around.

One of those feeders with a clear plastic tube and a strip of lead at the bottom.

The feeder was covered in green algae, so the fish had been towing it around for quite a while.

Bet it was glad to be rid of that.

i always use that tube stuff with a running weight as id feel do guilty if i lost a fish an knew he was draging my rig around