The things people say!

Peter Waller

Was fishing a dyke on Sunday, around the corner from a well known piker, in another dyke. I had no cause to move, I was catching jack after jack! But the truth is, I would rather have been in the other dyke, there is a particuarly nice resident pike in that one.

So, when I packed up I motored up the other dyke to see if she's been caught. No, same sort of result that I'd had, loads of jacks. I'd caught on lures, he'd caught on lives. Deads had caught nothing. As we were talking this other guy comes in to moor up. As he unloaded his boat I asked how he'd done.

'Oh, nothing, but then I tend to lure fish!' (As if that was a valid excuse). It was said in a way that suggested vast & great superiority over said expert, writer of books and maker of videos, with his pike floats for all to see, and presumably humble me as he assumed that I, also, was a heathen chucker of fish flesh. Well, I sometimes am, if I think it will outfish lures!

Well, says me, 'I was jerk baiting'. 'Oh', says our incredibly superior friend,' but thats not lure fishing'! Not sure what else it is but that was me put very firmly in my place :(

P.S. Said expert is anonymous because he prefers it that way.

Strange things some folk say!

[ 27 February 2002, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Peter - we have to assume the man was one who likes to use lures that do the fishing for him - thus "lure fishing". He would naturally assume that using a jerk bait where the angler is in charge of the lure's action is "angler fishing" rather than his choice of "lure fishing".

Based on that, he must use only crank baits. No jerks, soft plastics, jigs, or other such truck for that gent.

What an idiot !!!!!

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I'm sure, Newt, that the reality is that said idiot is probably a nice guy. Its an attitude we've met before, one of superiority. Fly fishermen sometimes fall into the same trap. I admit that I would rather lure fish rather than use baits so I hope I haven't fallen into the same mould.

By profession I'm a photographer & we have exactly the same problems there. People will create problems for themselves, such as those who use 35mm cameras for architectural photography. They then see great merit in struggling to achieve mediocre success when, had they used a camera designed for the job, success would have been a doddle. Thinking about it, maybe we could say the same thing about the U/L fanatic!

Peter - I prefer lures myself and tend to stick mostly to types of fishing where they have a good chance. Still, I have never had the urge to consider myself "superior" to those poor, benighted souls who fish with fluff. :D

I'm sorta a "best tool for the particular job" rather than "I'm gonna use a specific tools for every job and get to be the world's best with that tool and only that tool". In fact, I usually try to avoid those latter sort as they tend to be fanatics and I'm not fond of fanatics of any stripe.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President