Quest for a float!

Tyke

Tyke, I couldn't sit still after the last posting, so I popped out and spun up a prototype.

Are you sure the eye at the bottom actually loaded the float?

The one i've turned up, would need a bit of modifying to take a loading, but it may be possible. When I can figure out a way of putting a picture of it up, I'll drop it into my next posting. Either that or I'll just post it to you critical approval.

Regards

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow thats great of you to offer Dunk.

To be honest im not 100% sure what it was made of.

I just always used it on rivers and streams.

I never did see any others like it as my brother gave me it.

I am sure the eys did give it some sort of loaded qualities as it dident need that much shot for such a stout float.

It was smaller than a chub float/loafer and was more like a short stick float but a bit thicker.

Had i known i would one day lose it forever i would have taken better pics when i got me didgi camara.

Looking at the shape in the picture it probably had some sort of Lignum or cane insert.

I think it was about 3 to 3.5 inches long.

I havve seen stick floats in second hand shops that were like it but none had the longish inserted eye that gave it its balance.

Use the link below to post a pic.

http://www.carndearg.net/anglersnet/php/pictures.htm

Regards,

Tyke.

Tyke,

I think I know what you mean.

The longish eye you describe, is made by inserting a darning needle up the float, before it is turned. It's a REAL pain to do, but I'll give it a go. The amount of loading you achieve, is dependant on what size needle you use, trouble is, the bigger the needle, the harder it is to insert.

I like a challenge!

Dunk.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

The eye was more like the end of a large split pin.

I am really looking forward to seeing your creation and even more looking forward to fishing with it.

I will christen it at Normanby sometime in june/july if it is ready by then.

You could name it the Tyke trotter :D

Cheers Dunk.