fishing in the wind

carpnabber

hi all,

i suppose this is my turn to write about the continuing adventures of gray and gary,s fishing trips. this friday saw gray and myself return to hazel court,cowbridge for a rematch with the middle lake. arriving at 6 o clock we were met with beautiful sunshine, however after getting out of the car gale force 10 hit us!

boy was this going to be a toughie, we set up with our backs to the wind and just managed to set up our brollies(no mean feat in itself).

gray set up his feeder and float rod,opting for a size 16 hook on both rods, and began using maggot and corn on the feeder and white maggot on the float rod. i set up my old faithful feeder with a size 16 hook and decided on corn also. then i put out my (brand new) 8 metre whip using a 3 metre line and size 18 hook on maggot.the rudd at hazel court are numerous and are all in good condition, and they love maggot! fish were coming out within minutes, on a day like this it was enjoyable to be constantly in action and not to be reminded of the wind, which was by now hurricane force!

about an hour after setting up and sitting down for the day grays feeder rod swung at the tip and he struck.

after the usual playing he landed a beautiful 5llb ghost carp.(sorry no photo,s this time).

some time later my feeder gave me a 2llb tench.

however as the afternoon went on the feeders were not getting a twitch, so i pulled mine in and decided to take my whip down to the lillies onthe far side of the lake,i sat there on my backside(wet by the time i got up!) and put whiskey corn on my hook, lengthened the float to about two and a half feet from the hook and just lay the float out between the lillies and the bank. i then constantly fed a few maggots and corn mixed. all of a sudden of went the float and i struck.

boy oh boy did this carp put up a fight, it went straight to the lillies. i dont know how many of you have had a carp on a whip, but it scared the life out of me. the tip bent as if i had struck a cannon ball and ,of course theres no room for playing the fish, except the whip length. after a brave struggle gray landed the fish for me, a 8llb ghostie. i was chuffed to beans about that, on a whip. twenty-two seconds later gray is down a bit further down the bank and casts in amongst a gap in the next batch of lillies, two minutes later he struck, this fish had no room to run as it was surrounded by lillies and although gray had to be expert in the way he played the fish to avoid being tangled, the fish was landed considerably easy. and suprise, suprise out came another carp, this time a mirror, and weighed in at a fantastic 12llb, welldone mate.

well that was it, except the last half an hour, when the swim i had been feeding most of the day finally paid back with me having 2 lovely size tench, the first at 3llb and the second at 4llb.

all in all gray had, at the last count, in total 166 fish mostly rudd but along with the 2 carp some nice roach. the fish all varied in size from little tiddlers to half pound rudd and roach. i had concerntrated on carp, but still had a respectful 37 fish.

well thats our return to hazel, i apologise in advance if i left out any details, but i,m still new to this. :D:D

cheers

what can i say, gary summed it all up there, i was well impressed with how gary played his carp on the whip, to watch him you would never believe he only started fishing less than five months ago, i think the only thing you missed out gary was, i got a welly full of water trying to rescue one of your lost rigs, but il let you off.

smelly nets mate.

Smelly nets.

Canon S3 IS

Samsung S500

HOBGOBLIN

mailto:grahamnoone@hotmail.com

您在来信中写道

What no keepnets hell your memory span must be good I can only count to thirty but all my fish are massive and have attitude.

Must try this Hazel Court looks like it needs some Northern Class and Stinko.

Friday was a bad day for the wind Bigbites are on Anglsey and its tough going.

Keep up the good work :D

Anglingforums Intersite Challenge Champions 2003 and 2004 http://www.anglingforums.co.uk

http://www.total-fishingclub.com

i tell you, dragon, it hurt me to report on the amount of fish catch-pole had, but i independantly kept a tally so he could,nt add more on :D

as for the wind, it was that bad i thought it was raining but it was the spray coming off the lake behind us :P

thanks for the reply mate

carpnabber - I judge a fishing report excellent if I can see myself on the bank along with the reporter.

From that viewpoint, yours was excellent. And thank you.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President