Baitrunner / Alarm Buying Advice

luckydenvermint

I always say the same thing when this topic comes up, so apologies to everyone who's bored of it by now! I would always recommend a good quality 2nd hand older Shimano over a new Okuma or similar. Specifically, the old Aero GTE (not GTE-B or GTE-C - these are more recent models and not as good) like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHIMANO-BAITRUNNER-A...=item5d2b6391e7

I recently bought another one of these from ebay for £40, amazing value. No warrantly of course, but it's an old Shimano baitrunner and so you don't really need one! If it needs a service at any point, PM Budgie on here and he'll sort you out.

As for alarms, it depends on what you think you need/want. I use very basic Fox Micron M and the cheapest GF alarms, which are very reliable and go beep when the line moves. Why people spend hundreds of pounds on alarms I will never know. I did once own a delkim, but spent all my time fiddling with the sensitivity setting so it only beeped when a fish was responsible. I then realised that the cheap alarms had this 'setting' built into them, so I sold the delkim and went for the cheapies!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I always say the same thing when this topic comes up, so apologies to everyone who's bored of it by now! I would always recommend a good quality 2nd hand older Shimano over a new Okuma or similar. Specifically, the old Aero GTE (not GTE-B or GTE-C - these are more recent models and not as good) like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHIMANO-BAITRUNNER-A...=item5d2b6391e7

I recently bought another one of these from ebay for £40, amazing value. No warrantly of course, but it's an old Shimano baitrunner and so you don't really need one! If it needs a service at any point, PM Budgie on here and he'll sort you out.

As for alarms, it depends on what you think you need/want. I use very basic Fox Micron M and the cheapest GF alarms, which are very reliable and go beep when the line moves. Why people spend hundreds of pounds on alarms I will never know. I did once own a delkim, but spent all my time fiddling with the sensitivity setting so it only beeped when a fish was responsible. I then realised that the cheap alarms had this 'setting' built into them, so I sold the delkim and went for the cheapies!

Quality answer.Couldn't agree more.

In life we all have an unspeakable secret, an irreversible regret, an unreachable dream and an unforgettable love.

Thanks again for all the replies,

On this occasion I ended up buying a Fox Micron Warrior plus a GFX Alarm along with an Okuma Interceptor Baitfeeder. The quality of the Shimano Baitrunners has been taken on board and I will be saving for one/watching ebay in the meantime for a good quality one, if I do get second hand then it has to in mint condition for my liking!

shimano 1 year warranty

Okuma 5 years warranty

no contest

Ah but there's more Okumas that go wrong than Shimanos ( especially with disengagement on their baitrunner models ) . Nothing wrong with Okuma reels, great value for money and I own several but where baitrunners are concerned Shmano rule supreme. Great little workhorses that go on and on with a little TLC. For a basic bombproof alarm go for a second hand Garner TLB, tough as a cheap steak !