Dick Walker article in the Angling Times

tiddlertamer

The Angling Times comes in for a bit of stick on occasions on this board.

But full credit is due to the paper which will be running a series of articles by the long lost but still remembered Dick Walker, an accomplished angler and writer.

It’s timed to coincide with a new book called Be My Guest which celebrates his work.

The article in this week’s Angling Times dates from 1954 and is a fascinating piece looking at British fish records and whether they’d be broken, by how much and for different species

Looking back 56 years later it seems quite prescient though of course much has changed in that time.

I for one was impressed. Credit where credit is due. No jokes please about papers rehashing the same old stuff. :rolleyes:

This is history and quality writing too. Enjoy. :)

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

The Angling Times comes in for a bit of stick on occasions on this board.

But full credit is due to the paper which will be running a series of articles by the long lost but still remembered Dick Walker, an accomplished angler and writer.

It’s timed to coincide with a new book called Be My Guest which celebrates his work.

The article in this week’s Angling Times dates from 1954 and is a fascinating piece looking at British fish records and whether they’d be broken, by how much and for different species

Looking back 56 years later it seems quite prescient though of course much has changed in that time.

I for one was impressed. Credit where credit is due. No jokes please about papers rehashing the same old stuff. :rolleyes:

This is history and quality writing too. Enjoy. :)

I might just do that, my own memories of AT are all good. When I was a kid, a friend of my dads who came round about twice a year brought me a batch of them to read. I used to pour over them and fread everything over and over. I recall the size of the cod being caught, from shore and pier, the big halibut, uncatchable carp and - as I recall anyway - seemingly endless articles and news of Dick Walker and Billy Lane.

I've not bought one for ages, mainly coz it's, er, a 4 letter expletive - but maybe this is a temporary prompt.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."