canal bait

davedave

I was thinking the other day, what would be the best bait for catching larger perch, roach and carp in a canal. Something natural but not specific to just one species. Worms would be the obvious choice, i was thinking of a couple of redworm or brandlings legered on a size 16. Anybody had much luck with redworms on canals? Any info please

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Whole lobs for perch - hooked once in the very end of the head - float fished with all the weight just below the float so that it sinks slowly through the water column - and when given a twitch also looks very natural - has caught me countless good perch on my local canal.....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Whole lobs for perch - hooked once in the very end of the head - float fished with all the weight just below the float so that it sinks slowly through the water column - and when given a twitch also looks very natural - has caught me countless good perch on my local canal.....

C.

ok thanks, have you had any luck with redworms as well though?

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

ok thanks, have you had any luck with redworms as well though?

i caught a nice big perch the other week on my local canal . ( kensington road , Northolt ) useing double red maggot ..

but ive never had any luck with worm but i will try both redworm and lob worms in the next few days and let you know how i get on ..

rich

i caught a nice big perch the other week on my local canal . ( kensington road , Northolt ) useing double red maggot ..

but ive never had any luck with worm but i will try both redworm and lob worms in the next few days and let you know how i get on ..

rich

I would agree. Double red maggot on a size 16 perhaps.... If the perch are there you are sure to catch them!

Maybe try heading for the float rig set just off some reeds and just on the marginal shelf, this is where they seem to patrol I have found.

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

I was thinking the other day, what would be the best bait for catching larger perch, roach and carp in a canal. Something natural but not specific to just one species. Worms would be the obvious choice, i was thinking of a couple of redworm or brandlings legered on a size 16. Anybody had much luck with redworms on canals? Any info please

after a naff mornin at clumber we went to chesterfield canal in worksop, and cleaned up with chopped dendra over chilli hemp and dark crumb. 1lb and half hook length and size 18 animal barbless . chub roach perch and skimmers all day. worms every time for me on the canal