I need a few tips

JackPike1996

Hey everyone, im Jack, im new here, a young angler of 14, i was just wondering if i could have a few tips on Pike fishing and float course fishing, I go piking quite alot but it takes me hours to get one pike and there small, what i would like to know, what would be your opinion on a decent pike bait and just a few tips on how to catch more decent sized pike.

Also i go float fishing for roach, perch, chub and tench, do you have a good bait for each of these fish ?

Regards

Jack Ambrose :D

Hi Jack and welcome to Anglers' Net. I moved your topic to where it will get more attention and more responses.

Do you mainly fish ponds, lakes, rivers and what general part of the country?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hey everyone, im Jack, im new here, a young angler of 14, i was just wondering if i could have a few tips on Pike fishing and float course fishing, I go piking quite alot but it takes me hours to get one pike and there small, what i would like to know, what would be your opinion on a decent pike bait and just a few tips on how to catch more decent sized pike.

Hi Jack

I'm new on here aswell but have caught a few larger pike myself. I have found that using deadbaits are the most prolific of baits when targetting larger Pike (don't get me wrong. lures, spinners etc can be very effective aswell). You can pick up mackerel/sprats etc from any of the big supermarkets and the pike seem to like the oily leakage from these fella's but if you're struggling with these then try your local tackle shop for deadbaits, pike will always go for a bait they recognise and a nice shiny roach or rudd will often tempt them when your "fishcounter fish" will fail. Hook your fish twice with either 2 trebles or a treble at the front and a single at the back, I would reccommend that you use barbless or microbarb hooks to facilitate easy unhooking and to limit any damage to the fish. Do an internet search for various rig's etc but keep it simple and react in good time to the bites otherwise you will be digging deep to retrieve your hooks. Pike generally take fish side on so keep this in mind when hooking your bait. REMEMBER pike are very effecient, vicious predators but out of water they are about as hardy as a trout so treat them kindly and return them to the water fast and with minmum stress......and most of all enjoy!

Not a rule of thumb but just through experience that if you use a bigger bait you get a bigger fish...hopefully!

Hope this offers some help.

Chris

As pike are top of the food chain it means that there are relatively fewer of them in a water. So yes it means that takes are naturally less.

Again there will be more smaller pike than large ones.

There is no hard and fast short cut to catching larger pike. Even small pike can take large deadbaits. Generally deads do catch the bigger pike. Spratts for example has a reputation for taking large pike.

I think that there is one golden rule to aid catching large pike. Only fish waters that are known to hold large pike. It then comes down to water craft and of course that old but absolute truth .....location location location.

I think that there is one golden rule to aid catching large pike. Only fish waters that are known to hold large pike. It then comes down to water craft and of course that old but absolute truth .....location location location.

And that sums it up for me! I wish there was an easier way but Ive never found it and Ive been piking once or twice and had a big one or two!

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!