Don't know what I'm doing wrong!

PeterBlair

I've tried fishing in the past (swimfeeder, float, lure) and had no success whatsoever - not even a bite, regardless of what bait I've tried (luncheon meat, sweetcorn, maggots, worms...). I live in Belfast, but mainly tried fishing up around Ballymoney on the Movanagher Canal - with no success despite the fact I tried every bait known to man and every technique I know! I gave up about 2 years ago and sold off all my gear, but I can't just give up as I really want to fish and catch something! Basically, I was just wondering if you could give me any tips on what I might have been doing wrong, and hopefully help me get kitted out with the gear and techniques that'll actually land me a fish!

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me,

Peter Blair

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) Hi Peter and welcome to A.N.

The picture you paint seems very strange to me, not even a bite, you don't mention the presence of any spieces of fish, are there any fish in this cannal? You know fishing can be a game of tactics and patience. I know that if I can't help you, someone on here will, what fish are you after, that will give us a start as to tackle and tactics :)

As far as I know the canal is well stocked - the canal is the main waterway off a breeding establishment. And I've seen everyone else pulling fish out all day long, while I sit not catching anything...

IIRC the canal has bream, perch, roach and pike. I just don't know what I was doing wrong and if I do take up fishing again, I want to make sure I'm doing everything right (kit and technique) so I'm basically looking for a guide as to what gear to get, and what to actually do when I get to the canal, from setting up (getting a rig prepared and cast out) to knowing when to strike (in the past I've had the float bobble a little but left it because I don't know if it's a definite bite...).

Thanks,

Peter

Dont hesitate to strike. As Bob Nudd says "fish love movement". Even if its not a bits things like roach will come rushing in to see whats going on. I suggest you go down there on a nice day just for a walk. Chat to every angler you come accross and ask what they are catching on.

Regards

Ed 'Herefords bagging machine'

www.kingfisher-club.vze.com

Now Peter, we are starting to get somewhere, you told a fib, you have had a bite, do you know if at the time you were fishing top, mid or bottom water, this can make a difference, as to what you are likely to catch, and then again do you remember what the bait was at the time? as for tackle don't get too paraniod you can catch on a piece of cotton and a bean stick it's not that important at this stage.

<feels very stupid>

I'm not really sure how to determine what level of the water I was fishing... I think I was fishing sweetcorn and a maggot at the time. I just don't really know how to decide how far to cast out, or know how deep my hook is in the water etc. Or what type of rig to use...

Here's the info on the place I fish:-

Situated off the Vow road, on the laneway to Movanagher Fish Farm (visitors welcome-Tel 028 2954 0533), this 10m wide and 3m deep canal produces excellent coarse fishing, especially when the Lower Bann is in flood. Access to the pegs is straightforward as the road runs along the canal’s entire length. There are also a number of pegs designed for the wheelchair bound angler.

Bream is the main quarry here, averaging 2-4lbs in weight, although roach are also plentiful in the 4-6oz range. Bags of Bream to 90lbs are recorded each year and Roach consistently yield bags of 7-22lbs. The best methods are considered to be pole, waggler and ledgering. In addition to Bream and Roach, Perch and Pike are also found in various parts of this canal. The best pegs are numbers 3-15 and 45 upwards