Is this an Ide?

Norfolkdan

Count the scales ! Ide have tiny scales compared to roach

Roach have 40 or fewer scales along the lateral line

Ide have 55 or more. So there is no possible "overlap"

A blow-up of the original pic should settle the matter - I can't count the scales on your posted pic (too small)

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

As far as I can tell there are about 58 scales, so it seems to be an ide. I might easily have assumed it was a roach/dace hybrid though.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I hate to drag this on a bit, but how can anybody seriously think that the fish is a roach.

When was the last time you caught a roach with a tail that colour.

The Ide were put in the Calder something like 30 years ago. I have weighed one in Wakefield that went three pounds. We catch them pretty regular here. They tend to take up station, higher in the water than roach. Fishing the waggler, for instance, it's a safe bet, that if you get a savage take on the drop, it will be an Ide. And they put up quite a scrap.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Peter Sharpe:

As far as I can tell there are about 58 scales, so it seems to be an ide. I might easily have assumed it was a roach/dace hybrid though.

Good! I'm glad someone has done that. None of the roach hybrids (even with ide) would have that many scales.

A new species for your list then Dan Now you know why I waited for someone else to come forward ('cos I can count up to 58 also.... )

...and yes John, ide have reddish tails, unlike roach - but it is difficult to make out much colour in the posted pic. The scales would always give it away.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...