How To Avoid Whiting

Elton

Posted on behalf of nickhill. Please add all replies to this thread:

fishing normans bay and pevensey bay? how can i aviod catching whiting? ive been fishing pevensey and normans bay for near on 3 years now and ive tryed so many different ways from rigs to line types and then of course bait i cant aviod catching whiting and it normally starts when the tide hits its highest piont and from then on till the tide goes out im landing constant supplies of whiting, which may i add makes nice fish cakes however ive been wanting to catch things like the odd bass or cod as i no its been done is it down to lack of exsperience ? or am i not casting far enough any ideas i would love to here thanks nick

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Big hooks and big baits won't put off the whiting.

Cuttlefish will work to a certain extent.

But the only thing that I've found works is to put out a self-hooking livebait rig.

A simple pennel will do with the higher smaller hook baited with a strip of squid.

When a whiting has attached itself, just leave it out there in the hope that a cod or bass will come long and find itself hooked onto the larger hook.

(I've even had codling take the small squid strip, meant for a whiting livebait. So much for big squid baits and expensive dungie blacks for cod!)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Big hooks and big baits won't put off the whiting.

Cuttlefish will work to a certain extent.

But the only thing that I've found works is to put out a self-hooking livebait rig.

A simple pennel will do with the higher smaller hook baited with a strip of squid.

When a whiting has attached itself, just leave it out there in the hope that a cod or bass will come long and find itself hooked onto the larger hook.

(I've even had codling take the small squid strip, meant for a whiting livebait. So much for big squid baits and expensive dungie blacks for cod!)

Only way to avoid whiting is to fish in a pond.... :rolleyes:

I take it you don't like fish to eat then...........With Mike on this one, fish in a pond, invest in a boat........or take up golf?

Whiting, fried freshly caught in butter, or, fillets coated in smoked paprika, again fried in butter and allowed to cool. add curried mayonnaise and serve with fresh crusty bread and a salad as 'Coronation Whiting'. Just two perfectly good reasons for catching whiting :thumbs:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!