No closed season on the Thames

Waterman

At least there wasn't for the two fellas I spotted from Walton bridge this morning all bivvied up and ready for a days fishing. Curiosity got the better of me and I pulled over to see what was going on. They both looked very confused to see someone in suit and tie carefully negotiating the mud to get to them. I have to say I was half expecting some abuse when I informed them that the season had closed last week but they informed me that they had just bought a licence on the strength that a friend had told them the season was still on. I filled them in on the missing details and pointed out that with the state of the river they'd need about a 1lb of lead to hold out even if it had been legal to fish. I almost felt a bit sorry for them, it looked like it had taken them about an hour to set up and now they were packing up again.

When I got to work I dug out my licence and I have to say I can't find any reference to close season dates/rules apart from the web site address where you can get the info. Would it not be a good idea to put this stuff on the licence itself?

I feel for them...I have done that...Told by a Bailiff no less that I could fish the weaver all night and then just set up and started fishing when the night bailiff comes and fills me in on the real details...apparently the two bailiffs werent friends...Never felt so much like a pawn.

I hope you were right about the close season although I cant tell you if you were or not. I'm from Oop Norf lad

The close season for coarse fish still applies on all rivers - however, they are still open for salmon, trout and sea-trout fishing. BUT - only if they are known to have an indigenous stock of those species.

I have recently had reason to check this with the EA, and was told the following :-

Legal baits for salmonids (but not grayling - they are classed as a coarse fish, even though they do have the salmonid's adipose fin)during the coarse fishing close season on rivers are natural or artificial fly, worm, minnows, prawns or shrimps. No floats allowed, therefore either ledger or free-line only. And there is also the above-mentioned problem of the river having to be known to be supporting the species being fished for. If the river which you are fishing for game fish (trout, for instance), is not known by the EA to support a population of them, then you could face prosecution on the basis that you are effectively fishing for coarse fish out of season.

A call to your local EA office, Fisheries Section, is well worth-while.

:D:D:D

Sorry, maybe I should clarify, my remark about the closed season on the Thames was a sarcastic one. My main point though was, why do they not state the facts about the closed season on the licence? Does this become too complicated?

Jonty:

The close season for coarse fish still applies on all rivers - however, they are still open for salmon, trout and sea-trout fishing. BUT - only if they are known to have an indigenous stock of those species.

And only if you have purchased the more expensive Salmon and Sea Trout rod licence I would presume (£60).

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

I believe its also legal to fish for eels on rivers during the coarse closed season, I think the same bait & tackle restrictions apply as for Salmonids but can't be sure. Waterman is right, finding the right information is not easy.Its the same when you want to find out which canals are open & which are not. The whole closed season law needs clarification, and stating it on the licence would be a good idea. Or better still, find a good reason for having it or abolish it.

Jonty:

Legal baits for salmonids (but not grayling - they are classed as a coarse fish, even though they do have the salmonid's adipose fin)during the coarse fishing close season on rivers are natural or artificial fly, worm, minnows, prawns or shrimps. No floats allowed, therefore either ledger or free-line only.

I beleive spinning is also a legal method during the course fishing close season.

David C,

I can't remember what it was called, but I seem to recall reading about a legal method for fishing for eels in rivers, during the coarse fish close season, which involved the use of a worm, threaded onto a length of wool. The wool would become entangled and caught up on the worms teeth, allowing the eels to be landed without a hook. Presumably, this method would have been devised, to avoid the use of a hook, which would be illegal in the coarse fish close season.

On the subject of printing close season dates on the rear of the licence, this used to be the case in the bad old Water Authority licence days, where each regional linence had it's season dates and bylaws on the reverse. I don't know why they stopped, other than maybe with "national" bylaws and season dates (we in Yorkshire used to have different close season dates; 28th February to 1st June,) they believe all licence holders would be fully aware of the dates and bylaws etc.

Clearly this is not the case, and printing this information on the licence would surely reduce any accidental fishing out of season by uninformed licence holders, and remove excuses of ignorance, provided they are literate.

If I remember rightly (which I'm pretty sure i do), the Thames closed season has been a bit iffy to say the least.

The closed season only used to be in place above Teddington Lock, Middlesex. That was a far as the "Tidal" Thames went. Above the lock, the river wasn't classed as tidal. When the Thames Barrier was built, the non-tidal classification applied, down to the barrier, making the closed season apply. This upset a lot of anglers, who used to fish the river all year, right through London, even from the bridges, with beach rods.

Incidentally as an aside, you can legally fish for eels all year round,anywhere you like (with permission from the riparian owner), as long as you don't use a hook! If anyone's interested, I'll submit the rig to the rig page.

As a proud member of the June 16th club, I wish all a very good closed season!

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

i think it would be a good idea to for the EA to to include some of this info on the licence or at least in the regional guides....it all gets very complicated and the ethics are unforceable !!!

I'll stick the the stillwaters open and the canal til june 16

John "The Block" Westley