Best CD and DVD burning software

Lid

I am having nightmare with Nero 6 which came with my now 2 year old PC. It's always been a bit ropey, but it usually works fine once I get an option open. However now I cannot get it to burn DVD +R dual layer discs which have a write speed of 2.4x. My drive supports tis (apparently) but Nero only gives me the option to burn at 8x, 6x or 4x. I have spent days corresponding with Nero support and am slowly getting nowhere, as well as going round in circles.

So what other CD and DVD burning software is out there, easy to use and of course works please?

This one is quite good: Alcohol

This page checks the compatibility of your drive: Drive checker

I have never used dual layer myself though.

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

• 2 weeks later...
I am having nightmare with Nero 6 which came with my now 2 year old PC. It's always been a bit ropey, but it usually works fine once I get an option open. However now I cannot get it to burn DVD +R dual layer discs which have a write speed of 2.4x. My drive supports tis (apparently) but Nero only gives me the option to burn at 8x, 6x or 4x. I have spent days corresponding with Nero support and am slowly getting nowhere, as well as going round in circles.

So what other CD and DVD burning software is out there, easy to use and of course works please?

It's not just the speed of the drive that counts it's the speed of the media too. All recordable and re-recordable CDs and DVDs have an ID code in written onto them that tells your drive and the software the maximum speed the media can be written to. The software should not allow one to write to media faster than the speed that the media is rated to. For best results buy Taiyo Yuden media.

You can download DVD Identifier from this site. This will tell you the TRUE manufacturer of your blank media.

FWIW I started with Nero 5 and I am now on Nero 8, and I would not use any other CD/DVD burning software.

Unless you have a top notch burner like a Plextor with high quality media burning at the maximum speed of the drive/disk is often a recipe for disappointment.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote