RNLI

iggy

i remember as a child my mam taking me into whitby and donating to them, they do a brilliant job but they get no funds from goverment , what i cannot get my head round is why the goverment cant pay for this service, it s not right police. ambulance etc get paid why not RNLI ? i think i might be missing something so hopefully other members can shed light to me thanks in advance

Edited by iggy

i remember as a child my mam taking me into whitby and donating to them, they do a brilliant job but they get no funds from goverment , what i cannot get my head round is why the goverment cant pay for this service, it s not right police. ambulance etc get paid why not RNLI ? i think i might be missing something so hopefully other members can shed light to me thanks in advance

:D Hi, the reason the RNLI doesn't get any money from the government is that they don't ask for it. As soon as the government gives money to anything they put conditions on it, like the lottery don't give money to mountain rescue teams because they don't rescue enough ethnics and things like that, they donate 10% and want to rule the roost, so the RNLI doesn't ask them for money because they want to be independant. They'd take it if it was offered without conditions but they know that won't happen. :angry:

Edited by Norm B

:D Hi, the reason the RNLI doesn't get any money from the government is that they don't ask for it. As soon as the government gives money to anything they put conditions on it, like the lottery don't give money to mountain rescue teams because they don't rescue enough ethnics and things like that, they donate 10% and want to rule the roost, so the RNLI doesn't ask them for money because they want to be independant. They'd take it if it was offered without conditions but they know that won't happen. :angry:

The Government would also expect a cut of any salvage money earned.!!!!!!!!!!!

That is why people and clubs like mine http://www.glossop-sea-angling-club.co.uk/

spend time collecting for them

:)

:D Hi, the reason the RNLI doesn't get any money from the government is that they don't ask for it.

In fact they went a step further than that. Back in the eighties they were offered funding to incorporate them into the coastguards service, but they turned it down for the very reasons you mentioned

In fact they went a step further than that. Back in the eighties they were offered funding to incorporate them into the coastguards service, but they turned it down for the very reasons you mentioned

:D The price of independence. As soon as they became a government funded body they would lose a lot of support. :D

They would be given targets, this Government likes targets. In fact, this government would make a good target.

The RNLI would have to rescue 27.434 persons per lifeboat station per year. If they failed they would be shut down or privatised.

If they were privatised, they would of course be late for every rescue, like the privatised buses.

There would be no rescues after 1700 hrs, or before 0700 hrs.

The lifeboats would belch out huge clouds of smoke from ancient diesels, like the buses.

A crew of five would be cut to two, one to steer, one to jump in the water.

Lifejackets would be government issue, like army issue, and wouldn't work. Radios would be like army radios, and wouldn't work.

I think they had better stay as they are.

Edited by maidstonemike

They would be given targets, this Government likes targets. In fact, this government would make a good target.

The RNLI would have to rescue 27.434 persons per lifeboat station per year. If they failed they would be shut down or privatised.

If they were privatised, they would of course be late for every rescue, like the privatised buses.

There would be no rescues after 1700 hrs, or before 0700 hrs.

The lifeboats would belch out huge clouds of smoke from ancient diesels, like the buses.

A crew of five would be cut to two, one to steer, one to jump in the water.

Lifejackets would be government issue, like army issue, and wouldn't work. Radios would be like army radios, and wouldn't work.

I think they had better stay as they are.

Here Here Mike.

These people who give sometimes 'ALL' are better than to be run by goverment, even if only by a small persentage as it is , it is run by people who un paid give freely of their time for something they believe in.

God Bless Them and long may it continue with public support.

Paddy W