Hemp and Bream

davidP

Hi all, I've been fishing pop-up sweetcorn over large beds of Hemp and I've been catching big Bream 7-1 over Carp. :rolleyes:

quote:

keep being 'pestered' with bream (they are pretty big 6-7lbs),

well richard i would hardly say they where pests many anglers would love to be pestered by 6 or 7lb bream

dibbly88

Tight Lines, Dibbly88

I fished a match at Ratherheath Tarn near Kendal many years ago and it was regarded as a tench water and hemp and caster the best bait. When I was setting up I saw fish blowing and decided to go for it. I piled in loose hemp and fished over it. After a couple of minutes the float went under and I proceeded to catch 'Bream' all day,and won the match by a mile. Now I'll never know if I would have done the same on another bait but since that day I've never fished without some hemp, loose or in feed, and I catch my share of bream.

By the way, I am not having a pop at anybody but how do you get pestered by 6-7lb Bream. A fish is a fish is a fish blah,blah,blah :confused: .

Dave

stickfloatking:

Was talking to Ferret about this last night the waters that you say Bream where won't touch Hemp, are they puddles sorry lakes or is it on rivers?

:confused:

Never caught a river bream as I was an Upper Severn man and bream are a little thin on the ground.

Anyway, this situation largely applied on canals, the Shropshire Union in particular. When I used to fish matches if I used hemp I seldom caught bream. On more than 1 occassion I was told by extremely good match anglers that putting in hemp was the kiss of death for bream although there were very few explanations forthcoming. One theory was that it attracted small roach and the bream stayed away. Another was that they didn't like it!

I also spent a season fishing a large mere and had very little success with the bream until I stopped mixing in the hemp. I'd catch roach when the hemp was in but very few bream, yet the switch brought an almost immediate reversal of fortune. Unfortunately it was very near the end of the season when I made the switch and I didnt fish there again so wasn't able to test the theory any further.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Sorry bit of misunderstanding here ... there was a bit of tongue in cheek! Yes I don't mean to catch them as I'm fishing for tench but still a 6-7lb bream is nice! Its just that I want to try and get through them to the even in bigger tench!