New TV series?..

awaaar

I hope you don't mind me dragging up an old thread but there's a bit more info about the new Hugh Miles directed fishing prog. (with Martin Bowler) in this month's IYCF.

Hugh says that they're still filming and that the programme has the working title of 'Catching the Impossible' and that he "wants to create a different feel to Passion". Martin Bowler will team up with a different expert each episode as they go in search of big fish.

"As well as filming the capture of great fish I want to show the social sie of angling and the wildlife behaviour of freshwater fish"

"My dream is to get it on BBC2 and I'll work towards that". They won't be finished for another 18 months and he hopes it will be ready to broadcast in late 2007/early 2008.

So don't hold your breath!

Sounds good though.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

read that, says that they have captured a Perch ambushing a crayfish on film, sounds good!

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

jeepster:

the bbc certainly arent anti angling, just because they dont show many (if any) angling shows doesnt mean they are antis, the truth is angling shows dont fit the remit of bbc 3 and 4 and an angling show wouldnt attract enough viewers to warrant a spot on bbc 1 or 2. simple as that

Actually, I'd say that a series like "A Passion For Angling" is right up BBC4's street. From their website:

"We show a wide variety of programmes including drama, documentaries, music, international film, comedy and current affairs. BBC Four aims to offer an intelligent alternative to programmes on the mainstream TV channels."

APFA was a thoughtful and intelligent series which, by dint of the beautiful photography and whimsical stories, ought to appeal to people outside of the angling community.

It wouldn't fit in BBC3's remit, which seems to be some decent comedy [endlessly and tediously repeated] and some sub-satellite crap (Mind, body and kick-ass moves?)

As for the audiences issue, well, they find room for endless coverage of golf, snooker, darts, tennis, etc. There are an awful lot of anglers out there, I think the right programme in an early evening slot could do very well.

I don't think the BBC is "institutionally anti-angling", although I wouldn't be surprised to find that there are some who consider it politically a bit dodgy. Rather I suspect that angling is seen (wrongly) as appealing to a narrow demographic of old, white, male viewers, and that it doesn't fit with the trendy metropolitan image the Beeb likes to portray.

Perhaps if we could get Chris Yates to catch some carp while breakdancing on a skateboard round an inner city canal bank?