Superglue on knots ?

wpurchas

Hi,

Just a question. When I was introduced to the hair rigs and boilies last year, the person that showed me the techniques put superglue on the knots. I have since applied it to all my knots.

But I am concerned that I missunderstood him and that maybe the glue is not intended for the knots in the mono line. I have lost a number of fish where it seems the knots have dissintegrated or broken. Maybe the glue damages the mono and weakens the knot?

It could also be that the mono which I used has aged? I use the mono covered with tubing, from the swivel that ties to the main line, then about 18 inches down, the lead safety clip, and swivel then braid down to my hook.

Glue mono or not ???

Willie

Hi Wpurchas, it's been said before that if you need to use Super Glue then your knots aren't up to much in the first place. However, I Super Glue all of my knots, regardless of material, be it braid, mono or Fluro for piece of mind.

I've never experienced problems of line breakage when using Super Glue, but I did experience problems when I started Carping with the line breaking at the knot like yourself. My problem was that I used the wrong knot for that particular material and that I didn't lubricate the knot enough before tightening.

The only knots that I use now are the knotless-knot, Palomar and every once in a while, the Grinner. With plenty of lubrication before tightening and a dab of glue I've been breakage free for a number of years.

Hope that helps.

[ 23 April 2002, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: Gaffer ]

Willie,

Superglue doesn't damage the line although it's quite possible the line has aged and weakened. I will only use glue with stiff rigs made with something like amnesia (typically 20lb). This is because the line can untie itself if not glued (IME). I never glue knots in my mainline as I have no worries about them and if I used similar line for my rigs I wouldn't glue that either.

All I can suggest is get some new line (higher breaking strain) and always test all knots thoroughly, and retie if unsure.

HTH,

Rob.

Superglue breaks down in water after a while.

If you are tying a rig, and using it again and again, don't rely on the superglue to hold it together.

When tying spade end hooks, I routinely apply superglue to the knot, just to be sure, but I don't use the same tied hook for more than one session.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Superglue is not waterproof, even in industrial grades. So, whether it really helps is open to debate. Hi Speed Epoxy is probably a better 'solution' but is hardly instant from a point of view of curing. To be honest, a well tied knot does not need gluing. I've tried it both ways & no longer bother with glue.

I found if you put an excess of super glue it stiffens the line above the hook and that this stiffening may make the line more brittle, this area was the usual place for a break if one occured.

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

Ive used superglue for years to attach shock-leaders for beach fishing and Carp soon probably as well.Ive never really had any bother with it except when Ive put too much on and as said earlier may make the line brittle.Other than that its pretty safe.I have to say however that I dont use it on hookknots or swivels or anything like that...a good wetted knot usually suffices.I think the glue is only for vastly differing line diameters where slippage is likely.

Hope this helps.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

phonebush:

Gaffer,

A not so serious question.  Being an admitted tackle tart, how many years had it been since you used mono?

Phone

I was asked the same question the other day and I can't honestly remember. :rolleyes: But I think this coming season will be my 5th year on braid. :)