Canal tips

jay-mow

Hi folks im a new member on here and im imppressed! Anyway to the point i have fished many still waters up and down the country since i started fishing, but i facy a change i want to be a canal expert. The only thing is you look at match results for the canal in your area and see weights of 15 pound of skimmers and roach comeing out, and thats the weights i want can anyone give me any tips on my road to success.(rigs baits etx)

cheers!

Cheers Bud!

anyone got any good canal ground bait mixes for me to try.

I am going to fish on the leeds and liverpool canal at burscough near wigan has anyone ever fished there in the winter league maybe?

On the canal where I fish regularly, people tell me that Sensas 'Black' is the supreme groundbait. I've used VanDerEynde 'Special' and 'Secret', both of which do well at holding shoals of medium fish, especially if you add a tin of corn to the mix. In terms of rig, I fish with a reel, rather than a pole, and I use loaded waggler floats, as light as I can buy, which cock without any shot at all. I then add a couple of dust-shot, one above, one below the float, to set the depth, and a third, about six inches from a size 18 hook. These extra shot pull the waggler down, so only a tiny tip of the float is showing. I fish single maggot, double maggot, caster, corn or hookable pellet ('Ton-up' brand). I tend to get a bite every cast from roach, rudd, bream, perch, gudgeon, most of which can be swung in. Every so often, a big one surprises me. At the canal, I look for features, such as reeds or lillies, casting as close as possible to them. I hope you find this of some use!

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

If there are boats always check underneath.

If there is some flow try rolling leger and a buoyant bait (bread, floating maggot etc)

"Muddlin' along"

Black magic, supercup or any of the dark groundbaits that have very little food content.

Try and find a feature to fish to.

Also there are normally three lines of attack.

The inside shelf for small fish.

Down the middle for skimmers etc.

The far shelf for bigger fish.

If a boat comes through your peg, feed a small ball of bait after the water settles as your bait will have been washed away.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!