Anyone ever used a spliced rod?

pikergonecarpin

I go to some local auctions and regularly pick up bulk lots of rods described as broken/damaged.

I got another lot on monday with some interesting stuff in it, namely a couple of spliced rods.

DSCN0532.jpg

Now i've never come across a rod that isn't spigoted or overfit jointed, so i have absolutely no idea how these rods were fitted together.

One of the spliced rods looks like it's home made, the other is a Sharpes of Aberdeen split cane fly rod which is really quite nice and in good condition.

It looks like the auctioneer had maybe never seen a spliced rod either, and assumed it was broken.

DSCN0527.jpg

This is the spliced end.

DSCN0528.jpg

The rest if the rods are old glass/hollow glass sea rods mostly except a couple of old greenhart rods in terrible condition.

Plus an old bamboo landing net/gaff handle (picture above)

DSCN0531.jpg

So can anyone tell me more about spliced rods? I asked google, but it just gave me hundreds of links for more modern rods with spliced tips..

Paul.

Edited by pikergonecarpin
There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

Sharpes made/sold a salmon fly rod (impregnated split cane) up untill the late 90's that had spliced joints.These "modern" spliced rods were held together using tape that Sharpes also sold.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!