Do any of you record your fishing trips?

davedave

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking detailed notes is a huge benefit in the long term. Sometimes I look back at old log entries and suddenly think, ah! that's why that happened!

I've never done any filming, but I think it would be fun. How muct do you need to spend on an HD video camera and any other ancillary bits?

i only started 4 years ago keeping a writen record and diary of my match fishing , detailing the temperature and what feeding and baiting i used on the day and if it worked on that day and what pole rigs or feeder tactics i used .

For me its the best way to learn from mistakes and not make them again, so if something worked at a venue this time last year then i do it again and see if it works again , if not then i try something different and record the differences, ive then built up over time a pattern of things that work and dont work for each venue at different times of the year and different weather conditions . If i tried to do all this in my head it would be impossible to remember it all and therefore my advantage over someone who keeps record is lost.

i took a photo once of a 106lb bream catch whilst pleasure fishing from a club water 10 years ago because i wanted to show the secretary that there were bream in that quantity there. But i think it would be fun to make some videos, also because you never know when something amazing might happen

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fishermans-Record-...0259&sr=8-1

i use this to record my trips in...its a lovely book with some nice illustrations and the quality of it means it will last years and if you glue photos in then the pages dont go all soggy etc.

for photos; those of you with Windows pc's; if you use the photo wizard then you can print contact sheets, or handout sheets with 6 to 9 photos per page of A4. They make the perfect size for sticking in noteboooks and keeping enough room on the page to write in details and suchlike. also works out cheaper than printing off 5*7's or whatever.

with the advent of decent digital video cams and home editing software then creating a decent (for Joe Public) looking video is within everyones reach with a little time and effort! its also suprising what the video cam will pick up that you just dont see with the human eye;

for instance on the river videos i did recently you can actually watch one trout turn away from eating the maggot....when another trout comes in to investigate the free meal the original fish, feeling pressured into losing food possibly? spins 180 and takes the bait!!

never even caught a glimpse of that when i caught the fish, but the video picked it all up perfectly!