Raibow Trout on a Worm

Bilko

Had a disappointing day fishing and I have continued to hear grim views on the fishery I've been to. So I'm going to try a Trout Fishery not far away.

It's Fly, Spin or Worm only.

I'd appreciate it if someone could point out a good worm fishing method for Rainbow Trout.

T.I.A. Bilko :)

Will you be fishing in a stream/river or lake?

Here are some rigs with using floats, very effective in streams and rivers being the bait(worm)is presented ahead of any weight used with the leader so fish are not as easily spooked. Check out the link below, if I did not list the link properly use cut/paste to get there. I'm still new at this so bare with me!!!!

http://www.uk-angling.net/rigs/float.html

Happy fishing!

Here in New York I've caught rainbows in lakes this time of year with silver spoon lures, early morning and at dusk. We also use saw-belly minnows of shiners under a slip float rig. Using worms for bait in a lake for trout is generally not the preferred method with me because our lakes have too many other fish like bass and sunfish that seem to get to the worms before the trout do.

Gotta go! good luck!

Hello

use a big waggler and keep the worm moving and they will hit it, or else ledger and twitch the worm along the bottom. Rainbows are usually greedy sods so they should grab it, a drop of something like shrimp oil can sometimes help, especially if the rainbows have been reared on pellets.

good luck

ADAM

During winter chances are the fish will be deeper down, but it is worth varing the depth of the float throughout the day to find at what depth the fish are feeding. Its all to do with temp. amd pressure but if you play about you will soon find em!

Regards

Ed 'Herefords bagging machine'

www.kingfisher-club.vze.com

Thanks,

I messed about a lot on Monday trying different depths etc and I wondered if i was actually messing about too much instead of just leaving it alone.

Can one mess about with set ups too much?

Two schools of thought,

1. leave the bait until the fish find it if you leave it long enough they'll come across it eventually

2. the fish are there, but you need to change things for them to notice your bait.

I follow the second train of thought, I change worms at least every fifteen minutes as a wriggling worm with just it's tail nipped off releases juices and sends out enticing vibrations, also fish swim at different depths, yes they're often deeper in winter but if they're not foraging on the bottom, a worm just off the bottom may entice fish better than a worm amongst the debrie

I tend to start on the bottom laying on by a couple of inches and shorten up two inches every cast until I'm a foot under the surface, then go back down, it really can work and when you find the depth stick to it for a couple of casts before changing round again.

Somedays waiting every 15 minutes before you change depth is too long and changing every five minutes sees much better bags, it's all down to trial and error, but don't be afraid of giving it a go.

Also all the extra commotion of casting in doesn't necessarily scare fish, often it positively encourages them.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY