Carp smelling pike?

Peter Waller

Just a thought, many carpers use their nets to land pike with. Do any of you think there is a chance that the smell of pike slime MIGHT panic a carp as it comes to the net?

Most carp nets are less than suitable for pike, maybe there is a case for separate nets.

[ 22. February 2005, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

What net do you use for Pike, Peter?

I used to use a standard 42" V type with spreader block but recently I have started to use a large 32" spoon type net, basically an oversize match net, it landed a 15lb Pike for the guy next to me on Sunday without any problems.

The net is easier to transport, it is rigid so can be pushed through weed and the actual useable area is not much different to a standard 42" net.

It also means the conventional net is not contaminated by Pike slime and can be used solely for Carp and Tench fishing.

[ 22. February 2005, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

kipe - if they can't 'smell' pike then I doubt they can 'smell' baits and so anglers are wasting tons of money.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I wached an episode of "Screaming Reels" on tv recently. It was about Pike and the presenter spoke about small prey fish jumping out of tanks to their death in panic if you put them in water previously occupied by Pike. He gave other examples of the effect of Pike scent also but can't recall them.

Comus

[ 22. February 2005, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Comus ]

I think it depends on whether the Carp are used to seeing Pike.

I heard about a test, in which Minnows that were used to Pike in their own environment, were put in a tank. Some Pike slime was added and the Minnows went ballistic.

The same test was carried out with Minnows taken from a Pike free water and the Minnows didn't respond at all.

Interesting question Peter. I'd like to hear some other views on this myself.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

PS. I am working on behalf of the landing net industry to increase the sale of carp nets.

But that aside my pike nets stink something rotten, but its a different smell to my bream nets. The point being that the smell becomes concentrated. This must surely increase a carp's resistance and trauma to a landing net?

And, by the way, pike don't contaminate carp nets! They grace them!!!

I have always found that after landing any jacks that have grabbed any thing small as I am bringing them in is that unless I thoroughly wash my hands before handling any bait, the bites just dry up. I also have to change landing nets otherwise any fish I am trying to land just goes ballistic when approaching the net.

Fish Grace, Panic slime contaminates

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.