Braid for feeder fishing

lozza

A pair of Shimano Aero 4000 GT with 6 spare spools £120? in absolute mint condition. Two of the spools are loaded with brand new braid. Does anybody here use braid for there feeder fishing and if so do you need special eyes or will my standard feeder rods do?

A pair of Shimano Aero 4000 GT with 6 spare spools £120? in absolute mint condition. Two of the spools are loaded with brand new braid. Does anybody here use braid for there feeder fishing and if so do you need special eyes or will my standard feeder rods do?

I only use braid generally for the hooklength for feeder fishing. However, depending on the braid quality/diameter sometimes the small rings on a feeder rod make long distance casting harder. Personally I have never had it where Braid has shortened casting so much I have been unable to fish my chosen spot though....

So in short, most feeder rods would be fine so long as you don't normally cast to the horizon.

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

As Grumpybum says braid will not harm modern rod rings,The "grating" noise you hear when the braid is being retrieved isn't the braid "cutting" the rings but is the same as if you wet and string/cord/rope and pull it through your fingers/over something.

Ive been using braid for feeder fishing since the early 90's.It gives you much better bite indication (due to the lack of stretch) and better hook sets.I generally use the same diameter braid as I would mono so gain the added advantage of a higher breaking strain but if you wish (and go careful) you can use a lower diameter braid (but same breaking strain) and this helps in strong currents or if fishing extreme range.

Only time I revert to mono for feeder work is if I wish to use disproportionately light (compared to main line/rod etc) hook lengths as you then need monos stretch to help cushion these.

Braid also isn't affected by UV light so doesn't deteriorate the same as mono so can work out cheaper in the long run.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!