Dace

PDS

Not something I've tried, but I'm fairly certain I recall reading an article about just that method. Got to be worth a try though, after all it'll only cost you a few hours and a few pence for bait. You might find the odd roach sneaking in as well.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

PDS, My local river is the Tees & like yourself I find no problem locating Dace in the lower reaches, however in the higher stretches where the Trout population is a lot denser it's a different story.

They both love the same swims but I think the Trout push them out & don't let them settle making it difficult to keep tabs on them.

Does the Hexham area of the Tyne have a good population of Trout? if so it could account for your problems.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Thanks everyone :)

Peter, the Tyne at Hexham dose have a fair number of trout so that would explain it. Though this stretch of river used to contain a lot of Dace before Kielder water was built, after that it just went down hill but it is starting to recover.

paul

Our situations seem to run alongside each other PDS, we to had lots of bother with Kielder water.

There were days when all activity just stopped on the Tees when the day before it had been fishing well & the weather had'nt changed.

Having tied in the dead spells with the release of compensation water from kielder, it turned out Northumbrian water were drawing the supply from the bottam of the reservoir, ie water that was bloody cold & devoid of oxygen.

Not surprisingly it killed sport stone dead, they are supposed to have changed the area that they draw from but the problem still seems to crop up now & then in the upper reaches.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.