Thames salmon dream has died

Thames Steve

Please correct me if I'm wrong, didn't the Thames receive an award last year for the most improved international river. It made no difference that the eel stock according to some was decimated and on it's last legs, now we have the same situation regarding the salmon. If I'm correct should the award and the money given be returned immediately.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

It is sad that this appears to have failed, and perhaps a poor reflection on the management of the catchment as a whole. I don't understand why the upper Thames near me is so fish-poor compared to other rivers in the area, though I suspect that poor summer flows are part of the answer. It does seem to me that the Thames near Cricklade should be full of trout and grayling, and it isn't. Still, there are other Thames tributaries where salmonids thrive and salmon presumably should be able to spawn.

It has always seemed to me that attempts to reintroduce salmon to post-industrial rivers were more about public perception than ecology - at worst, expensive vanity projects which, if they succeeded, would mostly result in ordinary anglers being priced off the beats. I've mellowed on that a bit now, but I still think there is a grain of truth in it. Whatever, salmon would still be welcome.

On the up side, I keep hearing rumours of salmon spawning successfully in the Mersey system - parr found in surveys, and salmon seen leaping weirs and cutting redds.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, didn't the Thames receive an award last year for the most improved international river last year. It made no difference that the eel stock according to some was decimated and on it's last legs, now we have the same situation regarding the salmon. If I'm correct should the award and the money given be returned immediately.

Hello Barry

I spoke to Darryl Clifton-Dey, after he claimed that our gill nets were blocking the salmon from entering the river and issued us with a reminder of the fines imposed if caught landing salmon, in the end he admitted that the reason the scheme had not worked was due to global warming and that if it continued at the then present form salmon from all southern rivers of the UK would probably become extinct.

That must have been 4 or 5 years ago so it seems he's managed to obtain some funding to carry on for few more years.

Perhaps with weather trends on the change it might be that more salmon start to reappear.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hiyer Wurzel, hope you are very well, caught any more of them silver bullet, tuna, on your patch. Just don't land any salmon, eat them yourself and it will be their loss if you don't report any of the exotic catches, like salmon for example.The Thames is very big and wide so you must have some sort of net to cover that area.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..