Bad Day Turned Around By Fishing :)

SpecimenSean

Ok so ive had a week off and returned to work today. Forgot to turn the auto response on the emails on and first thing i found was 67 emails from **** off people thinkin im messin them about so spent a few hours sorting the angry folks out. Then i ring a chap who was supposed to be buying a nice piece from us. Hes **** off beacuse no one called him back the week before and so cancels. So thanks to my competent collegues i loose a £15,000 sale. Woop. THEN i get a call from a guy who we exported some shotguns for 4 years ago, before i even started at this company and he tells me he never received the guns and that they'd be sat in customs in the US all this time. And so followed 3 hours of **** chatting with US Customs. THE most unemotional, unflinching people ive ever dealt with. Proper wierd. So when i finished that call needless to say, i'd had enough for one day. Went home, grabbed my rod and headed down to the Goyt.

Got to my favourite spot which was still flowing quite fast but there was a nice piece of slack water to trot into. Got setup (with a little less than a clear head) hand fed a few maggots, whacked a dendrobena on and cast out. After just a few feet float shot down, i struck and after 30 seconds or so of fishing was into my first fish which turned out to be a nice Grayling of about a lb. Fished here for about 30mins and every 3 or so trots i was into a Grayling, all of a decent size and all put an enjoyable fight. After some time i decided to move down a bit into some deeper water and see what else i could have. After about 20 mins i was starting to think i shouldnt have moved. No bites, no fish, the just as my float went underneath an overhanging true, "bop" float was gona, i struck, the rob bent double and a brown flash flew out of the water. It was a nice trout of about 5lb that i fought for a good 10 minutes (i have to say, The Goyt Trout are very nice, strong fighting fish and theres a lot of good sized fish, there quickly becoming one of my favourite species to catch on here) before getting him in. Then i decided to move on once last time to another nice spot of mine and have a go from there. First cast a chub. Second cast a chub. 3rd to 20th ish cast nothing. By this time i could hardly feel my hands anymore so i decided "thats it last cast, ive had a good day". So last handful of maggots and double maggot on the hook and off it went. I trotted it as far as could see it, held it for a few then just as was about to retreive, BOOM. I was into something very nice. The fish immediatley started running back up river towards me so i kept the line tight saw the fish and just in time noticed (still at quite away away) him running for cover. I knew then i had another Chub, and a big boy as well! So i got the rod low and pulled hard and managed to keep his head pointing up river toward me. I have to say, the trout ive caught the past have fought harder, but when i got this Chub to the bank i couldnt stop shaking. It was huge, biggest chub ive ever seen (apart from mags etc), about 70cm long and im not even going to try and guess at the weight but it was big. I was shaking from the adrenaline, unhooked him and got him straight back. The silver of the fish out of the water was nothing compared to how he looked in the water. Like a dark purpley blue and so thick. A beautiful fish. Off he went, and off i went.

Ive caught some big fish in my time, close to hitting my English 40 (current UK pb is 39lb 8oz 3dr) and had carp, sturgeon and cat to nearly 100lb abroad. But this fish was something else. I always tell a story about a 6lb brownie more than i do the carp, but this chub is my new star story. It really was something else. It just goes to show what our sport can do, id had such a **** day, and its turned into one of the best of my life. I proper loved my 3 hours on the river today and cant wait til weekend now!

:)

gone

Wow, well done! No scales? Did you get a pic?

This has been posted before by Chris Plumb, 70cm (27.6") is well off the scale!

Chub

Inches/lbs

9 - 0lb 6oz

10 - 0lb 6¼oz

11 - 0lb 11oz

12 - 0lb 14¼oz

13 - 1lb 2oz

14 - 1lb 6½oz

15 - 1lb 11½oz

16 - 2lb 1¾oz

17 - 2lb 8½oz

18 - 3lb 0oz

19 - 3lb 8½oz

20 - 4lb 1¾oz

21 - 4lb 12¾oz

22 - 5lb 7½oz

23 - 6lb 4oz

24 - 7lb 1¾oz

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Sounds like a proper beast! :)

could have been close to 10lb going by the length to weight chart :)

Edited by tony tinca

i totally wasnt prepared, just had my my river bag and rod with me (i like to travel very light on the river) and really wasnt expecting anything like that to come along. I suppose its a lesson for the future, be prepared for anything! Ive only got an Canon SLR which i really only take with me carpin or session fishing. Same with the scales and weight sling but i think this weekend i shall get a little camera and some smaller scales and start recording my Goyt captures. The thing that makes it so great is that 30-40 years ago when my Dad was a younger the Goyt was a dead river. Now its thriving and you can have some really good days on there. Theres big chub, BIG barbel (i think a 15 came out recently) lots of trout and grayling and some nice perch from the weirs. Ive not had any roach, dace etc yet, but i only really started fishing the river last year. Im sure theres plenty to come :)

gone

An amazing fish and sounds like are very interesting piece of water :thumbs:

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek