Favourite current writer

darrell.cook

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon that the general standard of angling books has improved in recent years in as far as you now rarely come across a poor one. This certainly wasn't the case in years gone by.

I suspect the reason is that there are less new angling books now being published, and only the good ones get accepted. One of the reasons is that few general publishers will now take on fishing books, perhaps from having got their fingers burnt in the past. Additionally, there are now a lot more angling magazines available.

However, there are some excellent authors around at present. Taking the carp scene for instance, my favourites include Jim Gibbinson for his technical writing and wry sense of humour; Rod Hutchinson both on the technical side and as a fine storyteller; Mark Cunnington for his very humourous novels. Then of course there's Chris Yates, who I think will go down as one of the all-time greats.

A knock-on effect of the shortage of modern fishing books is that secondhand values have risen, sharply in many cases, and prices are still going up due to the lack of supply. Additionally, demand has risen due to an increase in the number of collectors, especially for coarse fishing books, helped no doubt by the internet.

As a dealer in secondhand fishing books this price rise is very welcome. As a collector the reverse is true!

If you'd like to review any fishing books, old or new, I'd be delighted to put them on Classic Fishing Books (link below), and Elton would like a copy for AN. Likewise, if you're interested in buying or selling any books please visit the site and I'll try to help.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Peter Waller:

There is one writer out there that has not been mentioned and that is Ken Whitehead. Oh, and of course there is another worth mentioning, Vic Bellers. Both lovely men, and like all lovely men, good pikers!!

ah-ha how true how can i forget his part in "predator becomes prey" good book that,i think (if i can get a copy) i would enjoy ET's book.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Ratty46:

i think (if i can get a copy) i would enjoy ET's book.

I've 3 copies in stock........

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

i will!! lol

i didnt mention the late great dick walker,i havent read loads of his writings only a few i have an old collection of marshall cavendish "fishermans handbook" lots of old school greats articles in there ,largley re-prints from other books,but never the less i still pick up tips and insparation from them(they were published in 1978(?))still in perfect condion to passed on to me by a family friend.favourite article is ....specimen hunting by richard walker...

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!