Pike Fish/Teach in Update

Guest BUDGIE

Guest Graham E

Yes I'll echo that, thanks very much for Budgie( a consumate professional ) and Lyn for arranging everthing. Teachin by Budgie so good everyone learnt something. And doesn't it say enough that so many people managed to pop in or fish a bit despite the weather and short notice.

looking forward to the next. FYI 2 caught when I left (but my landing net didn't) thanks Steve.

Firstly a big thanks to Les Webber -Angling Projects for the use of lake/clubhouse. I am sorry I was so late arriving but the car let me down so no one got their bacon butties. I missed a lot of Budgies talk due to lateness & in the kitchen making drinks & getting lunch sorted!

Thanks to Budgie for suggesting doing this (I only found the venue & supplied refreshments!) even the parts I did catch I learnt from.

Nice to meet more of you & to catch up with the ones I've already met.

Elton you will be pleased to know that despite the snow the few of us that did go raised £50 for the 'Angling Projects' which has around 2000 kids fish/stay there each year. They are mainly under priviledged & young offenders but also includes groups ie scouts etc. Les & his team put so much back into fishing & are totally self funding so it's nice to know we have put something back.

Once again thanks Budgie and it will be nice to see all that were there post to say they got home saftly.

Looking forward to the next gathering.

lyn

Guest Scott.Ashworth

I'd like to thank Budgie,Lyn and Les Webber for their various parts in todays teach/fish-in. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and can say the same for my mate Chippie who has only been lurking on AN until now but who I am sure will become a regular poster.

Budgie, thanks for a really informative teach-in, it really taught me a lot and I hope to put it all into practice very soon.

Lyn, thanks for sorting out such a superb location,especially for the teach-in side of things, and thank you for sorting our ploughmans for us. Also through you could I thank Les Webber for allowing us to use his superb facilities at Angling Projects.I had a chat with Les this morning about some of the kids that come and use his lake and facilities, and he told me about some of the terminally ill kids that he gets visiting. I have Les's number and will be giving him a ring to offer my services for the future in any way, shape or form.

I was chuffed to bits that the two fish that were caught, were by Gray Catchpole and Darrel Cook who had travelled from South Wales to be there.

Finally, would you believe that with all the AN regulars there, the first person to mention sheep was Lyn's little lad Liam.

Cheers for a great day everyone, and see you soon,

------------------

Ashy

Guest Steve Randles

Fantastic setting for the kids, level safe pegs and a clubhouse that would put most clubs to shame. Angling Projects is completely self funding and the kids who fish there, pay nothing.

Thanks to Les for allowing us to use the facilities.

Just a shame I couldn't get there any earlier as i missed the talks, but saw a couple of fish on the bank, unhooked and returned safely under Budgies supervision.

It was nice to finally put faces to names, and see angling knowledge being passed to others.

This is surely what fishing is all about, learning from one another.

Graham, thanks should go to Kevin Snow, who asked who the net belonged to, I took it because I live closest to yourself, and I am likely to see you before anyone else.

You can all wait untill the Welsh contingent get home to find out who caught what. wink.gif

------------------

Tight Lines

Steve Randles

Guest gray-catchpole

just like to let you all know the pike fish/teach in went really well today, it was great to meet everyone, and darrell and myself even caught a fish each.

thanks to lyn and les for letting us have the water

budgie, what can i say mate, i had great day, and learnt loads, fantastic, cant wait for the next one, i recomend everyone go next time thanks mate.

darrell, thanks for taking me mate, nice one

------------------

gray-catchpole

http://catchpole.cjb.net

Guest kevin.snow

I can only echo what everybody else said, And I will put into practice what I have been shown today.

I will let you all know when I catch my first pike. smile.gif

And as Steve R said it was nice to put faces to names.

P.S This is just an idea why don,t we make today an anual event and see if we can,t raise more to help the Project, If Les was in agreement.

Tight Lines

Kevin

[This message has been edited by kevin.snow (edited 28 December 2000).]

When I went out to the workshop this morning at 0630 it was a pleasant morning,certainly milder than the previous evening.15mins later after loading the gear every thing was white!Fact no it was a blizzard!What have I let myself in for I thought.After crawling along the marsh lanes at 20mph I started to worry.By the time I had got on to the motorway and reached Maidstone I still had not exceeded 30mph!Should I ring Lynn and cancell?Heck I have been promising this for months best carry on.Surely no one else would make it.When I reached the M26 things were a lot better and the speed picked up.Much to my relief when I arrived at Angling Projects there were others there.Introductions were soon made and it was good to actually meet people and put faces to names.The facilities supplied by Les(many thanks to Lynn for organising) were superb.The ice on the lake was melting nicely and one of Les's mates had snaffled out a jack early in the morning for the handling demo(many thanks)After spending the morning having a chat about tackle and playing with a few rigs we had a nice lunch(courtesy of Lynn again) then went out on to the water.Despite the far from good conditions we had three runs.One dropped and one each caught by Gray and Darral.Not massive fish but wecome on such a day.More importantly it was Darrals first ever Pike.Well done mate the first of many I hope.For myself it was great to see people so keen and concerned about both catching and the welfare of Pike.A very pleasant and worthwhile day I am glad I didnt let the weather beat me.It has made me even more resolved to see more days like this happen.Watch this space for the next Pike in!Hope you all enjoyed it.

Last thing is many thanks to Lynn for sorting so much of the admin and the endless stream of warm drinks.I had the easy bit,just waffling about Piking!And once again thanks to Les for the use of his facilities.

[This message has been edited by BUDGIE (edited 28 December 2000).]